Water in engine

Massey28617

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have changed a lot of oil in my days, most of them pretty old small engines and a lot in pretty poor condition (Troy Bilt tiller rehab is my current hobby). Had a first today, a friend had me pick up his Craftsman T130 riding mower and try to bring it back to life. It had been parked under plastic for years and was literally covered in algae, mold, and crud. I pressure washed it, including the engine, being mindful not to spray too much at any openings such as the air filter. Note, the battery was dead so the engine has not been cranked for about 4 years. I go to remove the plug to drain the oil and a good cup or two of water squirted out rather quickly! Kinda threw me, first thought was I had opened the radiator drain LOL. Anyhow, after the initial squirt the oil started draining as expected and actually looked pretty good. I have drained every drop I could, tilted the mower up to make sure.

So has anyone seen this before? And how the heck could that much water have gotten in there in the first place? Wasn’t from my pressure washing I don’t believe, cause the water obviously has been sitting in there a long time to come out totally separate from the oil and quite clear water too. What you think? Appreciate everyone’s thoughts!

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah, condensation. Rehabbing horses? I got a horse in the shop right now for leaking seals. Imagine that LOL. Tapered bearings on the tine shaft gone too.