Was given a HRB216HXA from a friend - no self propel

vetteb_96

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi - I was given a nice HRB216hXA (SN 1050962) mower by a friend. He said the self propel stopped working. He is not very mechanically inclined so he gave it to me and bought a new mower.

Before assuming I need a new (expensive) trans is there anything common that goes wrong I can rebuild on the cheap? I have yet to take it a part. I don't mind spending time on it and I hope to fix it on my own.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

-Mitch

bwdbrn1

Threads
With the HXA designation, that's got a hydro transmission, right? You might try looking into the adjustment of the cables or the condition of the drive belt. I don't believe the hydro transmission on the HRB is rebuildable, but it is possible to take the transmission out, drain the old hydro oil, and fill it with new. If you do that, use Honda oil, and see if your Honda dealer will sell you only what you need as it's pretty pricey stuff to be buying a full liter bottle when you only need a portion of it.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here's the troubleshooting chart for the HX (hydrostatic trans) for "Mower Does Not Move" and a few more detailed pages from the shop manual.

There are no service parts for the internal bits of the hydrostatic transmission. If there's an internal fault, the whole transmission must be replaced. P/N is 20011-VE5-710 ($266.64) :mad:

You can check the fluid level of the transmission, but if it is low, why? Is there a leak?

With luck, it may just be a failed/out-of-spec cable, worn or disconnected belt...?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 111

vetteb_96

Forum Newbie
Threads
Awesome info! Thanks for the help, I might start work on it this weekend.

Watchdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for those schematics Robert@Honda. Good stuff to have.

I just picked up an HBR216HXA used. Everything works great except the drive. What I see is the cable does not retract when the handle is released. Huge loop of slack for a cable. When the handle is engaged there is still slack in it and the adjuster is at full so no room to take up slack there. The return/tension spring is not broken. Any ideas on this one brother? Thanks.

Last edited:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for those schematics Robert@Honda. Good stuff to have.

I just picked up an HBR216HXA used. Everything works great except the drive. What I see is the cable does not retract when the handle is released. Huge loop of slack for a cable. When the handle is engaged there is still slack in it and the adjuster is at full so no room to take up slack there. The return/tension spring is not broken. Any ideas on this one brother? Thanks.

Can you inspect and confirm the cable is connected to the control arm, and the arm moves when the drive lever is engaged?

There are two styles of cable connections, depending on the serial number...(note the image below is an HRX, not an HRB model)

changecable1_zpsa26dd84e.jpg

changecable2_zps55307907.jpg

Watchdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can you inspect and confirm the cable is connected to the control arm, and the arm moves when the drive lever is engaged?

There are two styles of cable connections, depending on the serial number...(note the image below is an HRX, not an HRB model)

changecable1_zpsa26dd84e.jpg

changecable2_zps55307907.jpg

Thanks to your great schematics and tech info I felt confident enough to disassemble and inspect without worry of parts flying loose.

It turns out the cable at the trans end had worn of the connector. Found the OEM part (#54630-VE1-W000) for my HXA model on ebay today for $20.00 with free shipping.

So far the only hard part of the job was the bolt in the recessed hole of the scroll skirt. The whole thing spun and I ended up having to grind the head off the grade 8 bolt using a tungsten bit in a dremel tool. WARNING: If you choose this method be sure to allow cooling periods so the bolt does not melt through the plastic composite material. Replacing with stainless steel nut and bolt with a nylock.

Of course I took the opportunity to sharpen up those blades and give her a good cleaning under there.

No to figure out why it wants to stall if you engage the blade drive too fast.

Thank you again for your assistance and the fast reply.

djcain

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi - I was given a nice HRB216hXA (SN 1050962) mower by a friend. He said the self propel stopped working. He is not very mechanically inclined so he gave it to me and bought a new mower.

Before assuming I need a new (expensive) trans is there anything common that goes wrong I can rebuild on the cheap? I have yet to take it a part. I don't mind spending time on it and I hope to fix it on my own.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

-Mitch

The Change cable is likely broken. Try the OEM Honda 54630-VE1-W02 Change Cable. Cable will cost about $36.

djcain

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to your great schematics and tech info I felt confident enough to disassemble and inspect without worry of parts flying loose.

It turns out the cable at the trans end had worn of the connector. Found the OEM part (#54630-VE1-W000) for my HXA model on ebay today for $20.00 with free shipping.

So far the only hard part of the job was the bolt in the recessed hole of the scroll skirt. The whole thing spun and I ended up having to grind the head off the grade 8 bolt using a tungsten bit in a dremel tool. WARNING: If you choose this method be sure to allow cooling periods so the bolt does not melt through the plastic composite material. Replacing with stainless steel nut and bolt with a nylock.

Of course I took the opportunity to sharpen up those blades and give her a good cleaning under there.

No to figure out why it wants to stall if you engage the blade drive too fast.

Thank you again for your assistance and the fast reply.

Where did you find the part for $20? Please respond.