Engine warranty

mowerguy

Threads
so i've been told both ways on this topic and not sure what is correct. i have been told that if you have a new engine, and you dont put OEM oil/oil filter on/in it, that it will void all warranties. i guess there are additives in the oil that can be traced to tell exactly what oil has been used. not sure if this is correct or not. i had someone else tell me that it is not true due to the fact that by the time and money a company would have to put forward to have these tests done are very costly in the first place.

has anyone ran into this problem before?? or know anthing about it. just curious because one of the local shops uses all OEM parts for oil changes. and the other doesn't. thanks for any feedback!!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oils and filters are expendables... You are never required to use any particular brand... :smile:KennyV

mowerguy

Threads
i had both the local john deere equipment dealer and the largest scag dealer around both said that they have to be. reason being.... i service lawn mowers. ive done many john deeres this past year and have put all john deere parts on them. well some have the kohler engine, so can i put like a kohler oil filter or air filter on it instead of the deere. there is quite the price differece when your buying alot of parts

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes its ok to use kohler parts as its kohler that will honour the warranty and not JD.
JD package them so the customer thinks they can only go to JD to get them.
We get our local JD dealer bringing in briggs product for warranty problems as they dont have a briggs dealership as they are only interested in farm tractors.
Always use genuine parts but oil preference can be different as the engine manufacturers dont make oil.
They usually say use the oil warranted by them or use a quality oil with the same EPI rating.
Hope this helps.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No OEM can force you (only suggest) to use there parts, and cannot void the warranty just because you used aftermarket parts unless that aftermarket part caused the failure. And in cases were an aftermarket part caused a engine failure then the aftermarket part supplier is responsible for the engine warranty.