Walker Super Bee ( Briggs 18HP Vanguart)

GerryB

Threads
I have a very low time Walker powered by an 18 HP Briggs Vanguard. It is runnng very rich and surging. I took it to the dealer but they have been unable to fix. Was thinking about buying a new carb but installation appears to be a very major effort. Don't know if there are videos on this but it appears the fan shroud need to be removed as well as the intake manifold. Neither of which appear doable with the engine installed.

Has anyone else experienced such a problem and if so what did you do?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Walker have all of their service manuals available as a free down load from their web page
Nothing under the "hood" on a Walker is easy

GerryB

Threads
Thanks, will check their website.
Gerry

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Might need to enlighten us as to which website you are finding the service manuals on as the two I pulled up only have OM and IPLs. One was an USA site and then other was NZ site.

But if this is anything like the stand on ones they are a royal pain like the Gravely/Areins ZTRs

GerryB

Threads
I will dig deeper but the manuals found so far on the Walker site all relate to the mower assembly itself and don't provide engine specific information. Based on previous experiences I suspect the engine is simply getting too much fuel, acting as if the choke is on when it isn't. Air filter is clean and choke open so I am wondering what internal carburetor issue may be the cause. Mowing yesterday the exhaust was pretty dark (consumes no oil) and plugs foul pretty quickly. When I hit a bump, the engine stopped and wouldn't start, plugs were wet. Dried them and let cylinders dry out and it restarted but again ran very rich. Ideally someone has experience and best if removing the carb top would provide access to what may be at fault. Removing the carb, as mentioned in first post, appears to be a nighmare that requires blower housing and intake manifold removal which may require engine removal.
Thanks to any with experience.
Gerry

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Engines are normally cover the engine's manufacture. In this it is the Briggs Vanguard v-twin service manual since what I have seen so far is the Walker has a horizontal shaft engine.

GerryB

Threads
Engines are normally cover the engine's manufacture. In this it is the Briggs Vanguard v-twin service manual since what I have seen so far is the Walker has a horizontal shaft engine.
A little more clarification: mine is a 2008 production year Walker model MBSD, Serial 93430. Powered by Briggs and Stratton Vanguard 18 hp, horizontal shaft. Removed the carb top today and checked the float/needle to the extent they can be checked. In my younger years the floats were copper and if necessary could be adjusted for a little more or less fuel in bow. This float did float but with it running rich I'm curious about the float controlled needle valve.
I reassembled the carb and it ran great for about an hour. Then going up a steep incline it started acting like a rich burn again. Smoothed out but then after a few minutes began to burn really rich again.

Incidentally, what is the adjustment on the front side of the carb, what does it adjust. It turns about 3/4 of a turn. Changing it made no difference in operation.
The engine says Family YBSXS.2061HC 274484, I would like to buy a replacement needle valve and seat if replaceable but don't find the above model.
Gerry

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get a rebuild kit for the carb and replace the needle .
I don't think the seat is replaceable on that carb .