Buying Advice Walk Behind String Trimmer

maizenbluedoc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will be buying a walk behind string trimmer. I have narrowed my selection to the following: DR Sprint 6.25andAriens St622 I would appreciate any information or suggestions by anyone who is familiar with these two machines. Thanks.

noma

Threads
Hi Maizenbluedoc

Welcome aboard hope you enjoy this site as much as i do. Don't know much about those two models you are picking from is it one of those you are talking about a string trimmer with big back wheel to trim around building and trees and other thing? I have a southwind and the thing this i good for is trimming under evergreen trees and trimming around garden spot. I don't like it for trimming around building or chain link fence and trees you have to be so careful around tress so you don't hurt the bark on trees.Chain link fence it just grabs it and breaks you line right off and then you get to but a new string in. I would be much happier with a string trimmer on my shoulder for just trimming around things.:licking:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello maizenbluedoc...
I also would like to Welcome you to LMF.

Neither of these are self propelled... so get the LIGHTEST one of the two... :smile:KennyV

maizenbluedoc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I made my decision and ordered the DR Sprint. While it is not self-propelled, at least the weight is on the wheels, not on my body. Thanks for the input. It will be here Friday, June 3. Free shipping and 3 year warranty.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Please post back on this thread.... Your first impressions of it and also after some use time... :smile:KennyV

maizenbluedoc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will kep a log each time I use it and attempt to present a fair assessment of the machine

maizenbluedoc

Forum Newbie
Threads
First Impressions of the machine:
1. Received in cardboard box and styrofoam packing. Everything intact without any visible damage. The package arrived promptly from DR. Setup was simple and fast.
2. Instructions regarding placement of trimmer cord confusing. Attempted to install as per directions a couple of times and the cords promptly flew off when the trimmer was engaged. I finally was able to have the cord retained by following the instructions on the last diagram.
3. When operating, a high-pitched whine is emitted (ear protection a must).
4. Minor complaint but annoying-Cut debris is thrown onto the flywheel screen where is accumulates as a result of the flywheel fins pulling air into the machine (Yes, I know that is the purpose of the fins).
5. The machine makes a clean cut in grass, comparable to a lawn mower.

I will report later as I have only used the machine for less than 30 minutes.

Mac 624

Threads
at least the weight is on the wheels, not on my body.

At a good stringtrimmer, You donエt feel, that you are working with it. We own stihl FS 400,220 and 85 and never had any problems by carrying them.

maizenbluedoc

Forum Newbie
Threads
My situation is different than many, I am 72 years old and have problems with the vertebra in my neck and back, consequently, I need something less taxing on the body than my Honda HT-25S trimmer, which I still use for small jobs. I mow 6 acres of land and trim paths in woodland of approximately 3 acres Verstehen?