Walk behind mowers

pebbles

Threads
What do you think is the best engine on the market for walk behind mowers? even though I don't own one of my own I have used several with Briggs and Stratton motors and thought they were quite good.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
I think the popularity of Briggs & Stratton engines might make this discussion a little one-sided. I've also had good luck with Kohler engines.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think the popularity of Briggs & Stratton engines might make this discussion a little one-sided. I've also had good luck with Kohler engines.

That's most likely correct as I can't place seeing a lot of under 8HP Kohler engines on mowers... The majority seem to be briggs ... :smile:KennyV

briggs

Threads
i like briggs but i also like Honda ...I will be honest i like Honda more they seem to work very well and are dependable i havent had much trouble with mine and its old

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Around here, I see a LOT of pros using Honda walk-behinds... or it might just be my imagination and not based on fact. :tongue:

ASEAudie

Threads
Briggs has been around a long time, they make a decent product and replacement parts can be found just about anywhere.

Kohler and Honda are also very good, not as easy to find parts compared to Briggs, but that should not be a deterrent.

Nowadays, the "Chonda" seems to be saturating the market, and as much as I hate to say; they seem to be doing OK. (I call it Chonda, which in my opinion is a Chinese copy of Honda)

The main thing you should ask is "Where can I get service after I buy" If they don't have their own service department, be prepared for some bad experiences.