Repairs Voltage regulator

curtis/50

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a Troy bilt mower with a briggs and stratton engine. Having trouble starting each time. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Talked to brother and we felt it may be the voltage regulator - I have taken it multiple times to get battery recharged. The model is 31P777 briggs and stratton. We started hunting to change regulator - I have manuel - but I am unable to find the voltage regulator and the manuel does not help me out. Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you don't have an electric clutch you may not have a voltage regulator. what you may have is the 3, 5 unregulated charging system. If so you will have two wires with a square plug and one of the wires will have a bump about 1/2 inch above the connector. That is a diode and could be bad. the diode is replaceable but is easier to just change the alternator under the flywheel. Do the head lights work, if not then the alternator is most likely bad and will need to be changed anyway.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Simple check. Measure the battery voltage while the engine is running. You should get 13.5V. If not follow IL suggestion, replace the stator.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We understand that. Just read IL thread, you have a diode rectified system. You still have to test battery voltage when running to see if the battery is being charged.