volt meter gauge

basstracker

Threads
I bought a toro wheel horse 314-8 The volt gauge don't work. how do i go about testing the gauge?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
dealer,Ebay check around on line u will find one

He didn't ask where to buy one, he needs to know how you test one...! but after saying this if the wiring is good in the long term you maybe better off replacing it.

basstracker

Threads
He didn't ask where to buy one, he needs to know how you test one...! but after saying this if the wiring is good in the long term you maybe better off replacing it.

I took the gauge off the mower and ran a hot wire from the battery to the plus side of the gauge and a ground wire from the batt to the gauge. The gauge didn't move. Was that the right way to test the gauge?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
basstracker, I don't know your model. A voltmeter is a static readout and not so useful. Are you sure you don't have an ammeter which indicates current flow to and from the battery? My craftsman has the ammeter . An ammeter expects to see the current used while the tractor electrical system puts running loads thru it. An ammeter is hooked up so it's in series. Your test sounds right for the volt meter test. Guages in 1=1/2" and 2 " are readily available (cheap) at auto stores, but may require cutting or enlarging a hole. Good luck

Last edited:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Which one does it look like.

Attachments

• amp meter.jpg
    amp meter.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 12178622901512910749Startright_Automotive_Amp_Meter.svg.med.png
    12178622901512910749Startright_Automotive_Amp_Meter.svg.med.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 4
  • voltmeter.jpg
    voltmeter.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 2

basstracker

Threads
Which one does it look like.

the gauge is round, the numbers are across the bottom, the needle is mounted at the top, the numbers are 10 with yellow color, 12 an 14 in green 16 in red. it has toro at the bottom of gauge.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have a voltmeter and if you have 0 volts accross the battery when testing, you either hooked it up backwards (it is polarity sensitive) or it is bad. Replacement can be obtain at you Toro dealer.

briggs

Threads
You have a voltmeter and if you have 0 volts accross the battery when testing, you either hooked it up backwards (it is polarity sensitive) or it is bad. Replacement can be obtain at you Toro dealer.

lol thats why i posted Ebay ,dealer Etc i don't test them anymore 90%of the time if they don't move there broke but of course i check the wires first and the connections:confused2:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
basstracker, Glad you identified it, but an ammeter is much more useful. The voltage reading really doesn't give much information and can sometimes give a false impression of battery condition. Consider an ammeter which will show if the battery is being charged during use . Measure the hole and match with same size gauge. Ammeters have instructions. You will have to break an existing wire and insert the ammeter or perhaps feed an extension to it. I bet you can get one for under $10, while official oem replacement is probably ? $35.?