Vibration in belts....

David Giles

Threads
Got another question about my new Tiger Cat 61". I cut for about three hours today and it cut beautifully! But how much shaking/vibration is normal in the belts/pulleys? I test drove a 52" TC a couple of days ago, and in my memory it seemed very smooth when I engaged the blades. I didn't look under the plate at the belts, but the blades seemed to start very smoothly with no noticeable shaking, and I don't remember the engine RPMs changing much (but my memory could be faulty).

But THAT isn't the machine I bought. I visited another dealer who offered me a fantastic deal on a 61" that he had in stock. It only had 1/10th of an hour on it from a couple of parking lot test drives, and had never cut grass. It looked virtually perfect (except for some rust on the spindle pulleys that I mentioned in another thread). But on this machine, when I engage the blades, the machine shakes quite a bit and the engine VERY noticeably decreases RPMs (and if I try to engage the blades at low idle the motor will often go dead). And when the blades are running, the idler pulleys and the belts vibrate a lot (although the spindles themselves are spinning perfectly with no visible vibration). I pointed it out to the salesman and he assured me that this is normal. And before I came back with my trailer to pick up the machine, they took it into the shop and had their mechanic look it over and he said it was fine as well. So hopefully I'm just being overly picky. :rolleyes: But if something actually IS wrong, I'd like to get it fixed now before it gets worse or causes other problems.

I've put a couple of videos on Youtube showing what I'm talking about. Does this amount of shake/vibration seem normal?

In this first video, I engage the PTO at about half throttle.

David

David Giles

Threads
In this second video, the engine is idling at the beginning, and then goes to full throttle at about 11 seconds, and then all the way back down to idle around 25 seconds.

Any thoughts/comments?

David

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The wider the deck, the greater distance between pulleys, and the longer the V belts are, the more they will whip.

Last edited:

David Giles

Threads
The wider the deck, the greater distance between pulleys, and the longer the V belts are, the more they will whip.

Ah, that makes sense! So did it look normal to you (compared to other machines with similarly sized decks)?

kwak

Threads
I have the exact machine as you. I purchased mine a little over a year ago. I have never paid attention to teh belts but I will look at them the next time I mow and compare.

When I purchased mine the dealer recommended that I always engage my blades at full throttle you may want to check with your dealer and see how he recommends engaging the blades.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most mower manufacturers recommend engaging the PTO at 3/4 throttle, but in time this can be a pain to do. I have always engaged my PTOs at full throttle or what is called high idle which on most machines is 3,300 to 3,600 RPM. The places and the mowing I do, I need to be able to quickly turn the PTO off and on and quickly raise the deck to get over roots, rocks etc. I do keep a replacement clutch on hand for my Scag Tiger Cub. As for my Hustler X-ONE, it is operated by a crew that does the cemetery and the machine is still on warranty. If I find a new clutch for the Hustler at a good price, I will pick it up and put it in stock, otherwise my dealer stocks clutches for Hustler machines and they only deal with the Hustler commercial/industrial lines, many models of which use the same part number clutch.
New V belts do take a period to "run in" so to speak.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Last edited:

tigercat

Threads
The belts and pulleys look fine to me.

All machines have some wobble to the belts and pulleys. Take a look at another tractor you have around.

David Giles

Threads
Thanks for the extra comments everybody! The manual does in fact say to set the engine at 3/4 throttle before engaging the PTO. And I had to go to Birmingham today, so I stopped at another Scag dealer and he let me crank up the 61" Tiger Cat they had in the showroom (which had JUST been taken out of the crate). The belts and pulleys on it vibrated just about like the ones on my unit, so I'm confident (and relieved) that there's nothing to worry about with the operation of my machine.

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can always spin each blade & measure the cutting edge tip to the ground, & spin blade 180* to measure that opposite tip to ground as well.. That will tell you if you have a blade that might not be perfectly straight..

This should also be in your manual on this proceedure.

Congrats on the new Machine !!! :thumbsup:

David Giles

Threads
You can always spin each blade & measure the cutting edge tip to the ground, & spin blade 180* to measure that opposite tip to ground as well.. That will tell you if you have a blade that might not be perfectly straight..

I did check all the blades today (and lightly sharpened them) and they all appeared to be straight and well balanced. So I think the amount of vibration I'm seeing in the belts is normal.

Congrats on the new Machine !!! :thumbsup:

Thanks Buddy!