Vent plug damage, can't remove, help!

grantiman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Changing my trans-axle fluid on my cub cadet z-force 17AF3AGV010, one side didView attachment 68560 remove a little hard but did loosen, other side I thought was starting to break loose but my 1/4" hex socket spun and damaged the inside of the vent cap hole, now my 1/4" is too loose. Has anyone taking these vent caps off this any other tools or techniques? I was thinking maybe heat the vent cap first then try a small pipe wrench or vise grips, maybe buying a bigger hex socket and grind it down, then tap it into the damage cap hole? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
View attachment 68560View attachment 68560

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You may have to pull the hydro to do this but you should get a good grip on the flange of the screw to turn it out but first a couple heavy taps of a brass 2 lb hammer should be applied to jar loose the static seizure of the screw threads. Not too hard of blows as you don't want to damage case.

kbowley

Threads
You are in a pickle, sadly. First rule=Never round off a bolt. I'm not going to get into questions about the proper tools, the damage is done. You will need to remove the transmission and your best bet is a machine shop. You can't heat it and you can't weld a tool into the hole, I know of no way of fixing that one.

Last edited:

grantiman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I figured it wouldn't be an easy fix. I'll check on Youtube how to the remove the trasns-axle, hope I don't run into any problems there either. If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all, lol.. Thanks for all the advice, I'll keep you posted..

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
When you get the plug out change it to Hydro Gear 54730 which a external hex plug (9/16-18 threaded) with an o-ring seal.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Changing my trans-axle fluid on my cub cadet z-force 17AF3AGV010, one side didView attachment 68560 remove a little hard but did loosen, other side I thought was starting to break loose but my 1/4" hex socket spun and damaged the inside of the vent cap hole, now my 1/4" is too loose. Has anyone taking these vent caps off this any other tools or techniques? I was thinking maybe heat the vent cap first then try a small pipe wrench or vise grips, maybe buying a bigger hex socket and grind it down, then tap it into the damage cap hole? Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
View attachment 68560View attachment 68560
Be prepared with the removal tools needed then heat the case about an inch or two circle around from the plug . Here's the important part . Only raise the Al temperature 10 - 20 degrees . We need to be careful how much and where to heat because heating the plug to be is counter productive .

Do not heat the part to be removed . We're attempting to expand the case from the part to be removed . We're wanting only the case to ex[and ,

grantiman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Be prepared with the removal tools needed then heat the case about an inch or two circle around from the plug . Here's the important part . Only raise the Al temperature 10 - 20 degrees . We need to be careful how much and where to heat because heating the plug to be is counter productive .

Do not heat the part to be removed . We're attempting to expand the case from the part to be removed . We're wanting only the case to ex[and ,
I'll remove the linkage rod and drive beat that's in my way so I have plenty room around the vent plug, also planning on making a heat shield that'll go over the trans-axle just in case any dry grass is hidden anywhere. I'll work gently with the heat and try moving the plug back and forth in hopes it'll break free. I'll keep you posted, thanks....

grantiman

Forum Newbie
Threads
When you get the plug out change it to Hydro Gear 54730 which a external hex plug (9/16-18 threaded) with an o-ring seal.
Thanks for the info on that Hydro Gear 54730 hex plug, found one on Amazon, if I ever get the old one out I'll be sure to use the hex plug 👍