Vanguard V-Twin 16HP....Need Help

bdorr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good Afternoon,

I ran accross this forum in need of help tuning or diagnosing my Vanguard 16HP V-Twin. I recently purchased a Max IV 6x6 that has this engine in it. I know this isn't a mower, but I figured there are some pretty knowledgable people on this forum with these types of engines.

The engine runs ok, but I feel it needs to run a lot better. Once I get it started the motor revs up and down from the governor trying to adjust itself. I have discontected the governor for the time being, and for adjustment purposes. I'm not sure why a vehicle that has an active throttle would need a governor? I get its purpose on a tractor or snow blower where the throttle isn't always being adjusted and the governor helps adjust, but I don't understand on this. Can I leave the governor un-hooked?

I have pulled the carb and cleaned it. It startes relatively easy, but I don't think its adjusted correctly. When watching the carb while its running it will spit quite a bit of gas out the top (where the air cleaner should be) while in transition from idle to full throttle; is this normal? It also seems to run much better under a little bit of choke. This tells me that I need more fuel; but again under full throttle ,or in transition, it seems to have plenty of fuel (because its spitting it into the air).

Also, there is a needle valve on the side of it that can be adjusted with my fingers; what should this be set at from the factory? Are there any other adjustments I can make other then rejetting if thats the issue?

What are the compression specs for this engine? Cold, I have around 90 psi in each cylinder which seems pretty low. I'm not really looking to rebuild this engine, but I would atleast like to have the carb working correctly.

Thanks in advance for any help, I greatly appreciate it.

-Bryan

dodgefate

Threads
Ok lot of diffrent questions you have.
1. Sounds like the carb needs more cleaning. If its spitting fuel its running too rich. take it apart, check to see if the float is closing all the way. This motor should have a rubber O ring for a float needle seat. If you sprayed carb clean on it it will swell and not work.
2. The govner is to bring the motor back up to speed when placed under a load. after yuo get the carb figured out reconect it and adjust as necissary. a little bit goes along way with it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to this web site for a manual for this engine. It will help you.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12502267/B&S Service Manuals/03_272144VanguardTwinCylinderOHV.pdf

I suggest two things to solve your problem. First hook the governor back up, as you could end up replacing the engine by running without it. Second, get a carb kit and rebuild the carb. The manual will help you with adjustments. If your engine is running too fast, you will get excess fuel spitting out the carb, if the valves are sticking even a little bit. Max RPM's for most applications with a Vanguard engine is 3400 RPM. 90 psi on a cold engine is in normal specs.

bdorr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the help guys.

I will pull the carb apart and clean it again. If I can't get it to quit spitting gas out of the top, I will purchase a rebuild kit.

-Bryan

chance123

Threads
If your engine is running good at high and low speed, to me, "that" would eliminate major carb problems. I "strongly" agree for you to re-connect your governor and make sure all the associated linkages move freely and are not binding on anything.