Using Ethanol Fuel

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just wondering , how often do you have fuel system problems ( rubber component deteroration ) due to use of ethanol fuel ?
Do you use a fuel additive ?
Do you use NON - Ethanol fuel ? ( here in Fl. ...... it's usually available at SOME marinas ... lot a boats in Fl. ) and they have their share of headaches too !
Finally , does the use of Ethanol fuel affect any of your ( new equipment warranty ) ? ......:mad:

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your going to open a big can of worms with this post.

Some will say ethanol causes big problems while others will say hardly any.

As for warranty the engine manufacturer did not put the fuel in the engine so cannot be classed as warranty.
What you will get though is if a customer had a problem with fuel after buying product from the dealer then if would be repaired FOC.
If the customer bought it else where then they would probably be charged for the repair.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your going to open a big can of worms with this post.

Some will say ethanol causes big problems while others will say hardly any.

As for warranty the engine manufacturer did not put the fuel in the engine so cannot be classed as warranty.
What you will get though is if a customer had a problem with fuel after buying product from the dealer then if would be repaired FOC.
If the customer bought it else where then they would probably be charged for the repair.

It all depends upon how much the equipment is used and for how long.
The biggest ethanol problem I come across is corrosion due to water condensing in metallic float bowls causing agressive galvanic corrosion and biological fungal blooms.
If the equipment has not been used for a long while.
Did 140 fire pumps this year @ $ 60.00 each.
I love ethanol, should be more of it.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok I will be the odd one.

I think this ethanol myth is so the manufacturers can blame something for the low quality cheap parts they use.

I have over 100 mowers and have never had a problem that I can say was because of ethanol.

Lots of guys on here say they see it all the time. But can not prove it was because of the ethanol.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Condensation has been getting in carbs since carbs have been around.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Ethanol by itself isn't much of a problem. The people that use their equipment a lot don't see problems, The people that use their equipment on occasion, and also purchase their fuel from questionable stations are the same people that are having ethanol problems. With all the problems that is supposedly caused by ethanol, for some reason doesn't effect vehicles.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ethanol isn't the problem the moisture is attracts after sitting far longer than you are supposed to let it. (Every machine has a part in the manual about storage) people think they can park their machine in their garage or shed or yard let it sit for 6+ months and come out and start up without a problem. Oh the machine didn't start couldn't be my fault it ran when I parked it

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I do lawn services on a when needed basis for my customers and service calls for primarily cemeteries. There are periods when my lawn equipment doesn't get used such as last summer which was very dry in my area. I treat my stored fuel with Star Tron fuel additive regularly and this extends the storage life enough so I usually don't run into problems. I keep several cans of Sea Foam handy for the situations when it is needed to do a quick assist to a machine that is showing a problem.
My equipment is kept in a closed cargo trailer that heats up during the day and cools down at night. I feel that this daily temp change has a direct negative affect on the storage life of the fuel both in storage containers and in the equipment in my trailer. This trailer is painted white and is my newest one, my older trailer is painted dark blue and the interior temps during the day get 15 degrees higher than the white trailer. So I learned a long time ago to treat my fuel with something and Star Tron fuel additive works best for me.
Last fall I bought two new Husqvarna chain saws and if I bought six quarts of Husqvarna pre mixed non ethanol fuel, the warranty for each saw was extended for another year, so I bought the fuel. I used this fuel in my older Husqvarna saws and they ran like they had been modified.
Last summer I was out in Indiana or Ohio and unintentionally purchased 87 non ethanol fuel for my 2011 Ford E350 5.4 L van. I had five others with me and they noticed the increase in power and I noted an additional 100 miles of range on that tank of fuel.
Just some thoughts from
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Mikel1

Threads
I haven't had any problems with the ethanol gas. I have left gas in my riding lawnmower every year for the past 17 years for 6-7 months before running it out. I have never used any additives.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Judging by the list of gas stations in Georgia that sell ethanol free gasoline, you are probably buying it and don't know it.
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
If you go to this website and click on different states, you will find that as you get closer to the northeast, the number of ethanol free sellers decreases to the point where high octane racing fuel is the only ethanol free fuel available. The only ways that I can buy ethanol free fuel here in CT other than racing fuel, is at power equipment dealers, premixed and not, 93 octane and it is $16 to $20 per gallon!!!!! One quart or five gallons!!!
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited: