Using Cold Frames For Starting Seeds

outdoors Joe

Threads
I've thought about using cold frames to start seeds in the late winter and early spring. If the temperatures are in the 30's during the day and even cooler at night, how can you keep them warm enough to sprout the seeds?

173abn

Threads
outdoors joe, my granddad used to use manure,the heat given off by the manure kept it warm enough at night. russ

stanley

Threads
I think steer manure would do the best for that. Home improvement and even some hardware stores will sell it in 50 lb bags. watch out for the smell though:eek:

outdoors Joe

Threads
My neighbor has cows. Does it matter if the manure is fresh or should it be old? I'm sure my neighbor would let me get all I want to out of this field.

outdoors Joe

Threads
I thought that might be the case. Sure will be good to get it free rather than to pay for it. Is there anything else I should know before using it? Do you just put it around the cold frame? How about putting it under them?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Get a lot and incorporate your lawn clippings and anything else you have to add and compost, you will end up with very good soil :smile:KennyV

outdoors Joe

Threads
I'll do that. I've always wanted to make my own compost and this is a great time to start. We have plenty of leaves. Don't they make good compost, too?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Almost all vegetable matter added with your neighbors cows input:wink: will make GREAT compost... :smile:KennyV

outdoors Joe

Threads
Thanks everyone! I think my neighbor's cow field might end up being the cleanest one around these parts. LOL! Does the manure need to be old when I put it on the compost pile?