Used Mower opinions needed

theadrick

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an offer to purchase a 2010 IS500Z with only 86 hours for $3100. Seller says the mower was not used for commercial mowing (kind of obvious given the hours), runs great, and starts right up.

The only downside is that he says he removed the front of the mower deck to cut 1 foot tall corn to make a maze and that they had the front reattached professionally by a professional welder. They posted a pic of the welding job and based on that it obvious where they welded.

I'm not a mower expert, my current mower is a 10 year old craftman tractor, so I was looking for opinions on if this is a good deal and if there's anything else I should check on the machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Parkmower

Threads
I have an offer to purchase a 2010 IS500Z with only 86 hours for $3100. Seller says the mower was not used for commercial mowing (kind of obvious given the hours), runs great, and starts right up.

The only downside is that he says he removed the front of the mower deck to cut 1 foot tall corn to make a maze and that they had the front reattached professionally by a professional welder. They posted a pic of the welding job and based on that it obvious where they welded.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is a good mower at a fair price. BUT he did two odd things that were not a good idea.
1. Cutting 1' high corn is a recipe for trashed spindles/belt/blades.
2. Cutting the leading edge of the deck off. This again just sounds odd to me.

Whys he selling?
Sounds like this guy screwed up this mower now trying to recoup some money for a expensive mower he trashed.
I'd be very Leary.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
For that price I am going to say YES. I am sure it can be fixed. Go price a new Ferris once. You will have a top commercial mower that will last you for years.

theadrick

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here's the pic I have of the welding job.

reynoldston, I initially was thinking the same thing. I have a Ferris dealer 3 miles from my house if I need any repairs. Figure the deck would be $800-1000 to replace if needed which would still make it a decent deal but if there's also worry about what this was used for prior.

I've seen the IS500Z's priced from $4700-5000 on the internet.

Attachments

• xx.jpg
    xx.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 25

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It looks like its been fixed. I wouldn't worry about the spindles because the bearing are replaceable and everything else is heavy duty. You can buy a new mower for the same price but its not going to compair to the Ferris. My Ferris is 14 years old and it still mows as good as when it was new.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Cutting 1 foot tall corn is the same as cutting weeds. At 1 foot I am sure there was no cobs on the stocks. Don't understand why he cut the deck any one of my riding mowers will cut 4 foot stocks.

I would buy it

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))