Urban legend?

GetTechnicalWithJd

Threads
We started every single one of them in shop class in high school on the bench after they were gone through. Briggs starts all their engines to test them. How do they do it?

They do not pull start them. They have a machine that spins the flywheel to start the engine.

Can you imagine what the production engineer's arms would be like if they pull started 5000 engines a day. :laughing:

Below is the end of a Briggs & Stratton engine production line where they test the engines.

S1010079.jpg

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I said that the engine would be harder to start, and may rip the rope out of your hand etc.

But horizontal shafts come with cast iron flywheels, as they never have a blade bolted on them. But on pushmowers, the blade's weight is
combined with the aluminum flywheel's weight for smooth running and starting.

Fish

jimrs

Threads
Like the factory, my father in law installed an electric motor in his garage used a long fan belt and started his lawnmowers by using the motor with the fan belt around the old wrap the rope and pull, pulley pull back on the mower they all started soon or later. When you get old you have to think outside the box.

GetTechnicalWithJd

Threads
Like the factory, my father in law installed an electric motor in his garage used a long fan belt and started his lawnmowers by using the motor with the fan belt around the old wrap the rope and pull, pulley pull back on the mower they all started soon or later. When you get old you have to think outside the box.

In South Africa we have a saying for ideas like the "Boere maak n plan" (Farmer makes a plan).

Pretty ingenious of him but could prove to be a bit dangerous.

DaveTN

Threads
I've always heard that a push mower with a Briggs engine will not start with the blade removed. I suppose I could go out, pull the blade, and try it myself, but it's too darn hot. Is this a tall tale, or is there some truth in it?

They'll start and run, but can jerk the hide off your fingers trying to start it and have a strong kickback. And they vibrate in a rough fashion once they start. I've seen blades not torqued enough and spin loose and cause the engine start that rough running. All said and done, I'd rather have the blades sharp and tight before starting a mower!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Briggs I started yesterday morning was a Cub Cadet 999 ES with the 775 series 175 cc engine. I started it with the electric start and it ran perfectly fine. The only thing I noticed was the fact it didn't make but about half the noise without the blade.