Upgrades & improvements

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
I have finally finished up the cleaning/detailing on my recent used 721D purchase. Now, I have been going over the entire mower, upgrading where I can to make things better or fix what, IMHO, are design "oversights" on this rig. LOL. This has mostly involved sawing off all of the rusted out carbon steel bolts (deck shields, battery box & lid, seat, etc.) and replacing them with all stainless steel hardware to help eliminate or at least greatly reduce any future rusting. The bolts that attach the battery cover to the tray were trashed due to corrosive spillover from previous power cells. I had to use a hacksaw to cut them off. Then I took my grinder with a wire wheel to remove the large crust/gunk, then hand-sanded the floor area of the tray. I plan to re-paint it this weekend. Picking up new S.S. hardware for everything after work today. I'm also placing nylon washers between the cover & tray to eliminate any rattling and prevent metal-on-metal wear.

The mounting bolts for the Trim Master roller thingamajig that mounts to the leading edge of my deck were rusted beyond salvage as well. I had to remove all 4 of them with my grinder and install new S.S. hardware. I picked up some foam/rubber weatherseal material and installed it along the inside edge of the two smaller outer deck shields, lightly sanded the the bottom edge so that the foam strip's tacky adhesive would have a little better purchase, then pressed them into place and let them set for a day. Afterwards I took an X-acto knife and trimmed out the slotted mounting holes. To help totally eliminate any rattling from the deck shields I lightly sanded the outside edge of each mounting hole as well, brushed on a thin coat of Krazy Glue gel and then permanently glued rubber fender washers over each hole. I bought S.S. pan head bolts, fender washers & lock washers to secure everything in place. Now not only will they NOT rust, there is also no more metal-on-metal vibration noise when mowing.

This afternoon I am going to replace all of the factory foam that's on the underside of the big main deck shield; it's pretty wore out and is missing in a few spots. I will apply some new, thicker foam pads to replace the beat up stuff and install a large piece of Dynamat sound insulation material that I had leftover from a upgrade project on my Jeep Cherokee, to the entire underside area of the center shield. It should really deaden down the roar from the deck spindles while mowing from now on. I also used another section of Dynamat and applied it to the underside of the engine hood. It helped quiet down the motor a bit; much more pleasant now - with my MP3 player on I don't have to crank it up as loud to hear it!

I can post pictures of what I did if anyone want to try these tricks themselves.:biggrin:

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
Just realized that I never posted any pics of my "new" mower yet.

OK. Here it is:
20u27m9.jpg

2wgspw0.jpg

qp2d7r.jpg

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
LOOKS Great...
Stainless steel is a very good choice in many areas... and I am a big fan of Dynamat, very good stuff...
Do post your upgrades, as there are several mower makes here, that may get enthused about some of your improvements.... :smile:KennyV

geoff

Threads
I agree with KennyV, your machine looks great!!! I also would be interested in seeing some close up pictures of the reworks you did .. may I ask where you got the paint for the GH? I have been looking for some paint for repainting several areas of my machine as well but so far haven't had much success. I recentlhy replaced the tires with new ones.. After the tires were removed, I took the rims to HD in the expectation they would use their computer to match the color of the rims... little did I know the camera they use for that is IN the computer, not a hand held device... they weren't even able to show me a preview of the color before they mixed it. When I insisted on seeing the final result, you should have seen the look on both my face and that of the clerk. He had perfectly matched THE RUST color on inside of the rims!!! So any suggestions as to where to get the factory color paints would be great, or if you got it from a third party, the brand and color code maybe?

While I am on the subject of rehabbing, I was hoping that the new bar tires I had put on, would be somewhat gentler on my lawn when I made a turn. But its not. No matter how slowly I make the turn, the wheel that is pivoting makes a divot in the lawn... I was thinking about buying regular turf tires but the OE ones are really expensive... in the neighborhood of $189 if I recall, each. I have seen some 20X10X8 turf tires by some other manufacturers that cost more in the area of $50 each but wasn't sure if anyone had any experience with what is good, or bad...

Geoff

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
Thanks for the compliments, Geoff. Actually, I haven't touched the painted surfaces. They're all stock GH powdercoat. The 2 PO's before me just took really good care of the machine - one of the reasons why I thought it was such a great buy.

The only painting I've done so far was to the factory discharge guard mounting bracket. I wanted to pitch the heavy, unforgiving metal guard and go with one of the new style flexible units. I picked one up from my local GH dealer ($17) and set to work figuring out how to make it fit. I measured the overall length of the new plastic guard, removed the stock mounting bracket from the deck, cut a little over 4 inches out of the middle, then butt-welded the two pieces together. I smoothed out the welds with a grinder, sanded the new, shortened bracket and hit it with 2 coats of Krylon flat black paint to more closely match the pebbled texture of the plastic guard. I loosely assembled the guard to the bracket, (perfect fit; yeah!), then I eye-balled where the new bracket would sit on the deck, used C-clamps to fix it in place and drilled 2 new holes. I bolted it in place with stainless hardware and snugged everything up. Turns out I didn't even need a spring to keep tension on the guard; whenever I brush along or bump into something it pops up, but it's heavy enough that gravity pulls it right back down. Works & looks great.

Black Bart

Threads
Jinzo that is a nice looking machine you got a great buy on that.
The GH is a very well built mower :thumbsup:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
LOVE powder coat.... only down side, you really can not 'paint' over powder coat and have it come out right...

but P C sure is a great finish.... :smile:KennyV