Two Stroke, or Four Stroke ?

Two Stroke or Four Stroke ?

• Total voters

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
If you had the option of buying a mower with a Two Stroke engine, or a Four Stroke engine, what would you choose ?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I will guess you are referring to a much older 2 cycle mower as they have not made a 2 cycle mower in quite a while... So it would depend on the condition of the engine/mower....

New mowers are available in 4 cycle so if I were looking for a new mower, small engine, single blade system... I guess I would look at what was available.... :smile:KennyV

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I will guess you are referring to a much older 2 cycle mower as they have not made a 2 cycle mower in quite a while... So it would depend on the condition of the engine/mower....

New mowers are available in 4 cycle so if I were looking for a new mower, small engine, single blade system... I guess I would look at what was available.... :smile:KennyV
I have nothing against 2 Stroke engines, and when I buy a trimmer, it will obviously have a 2 Stroke engine, as I don't have money for those new "Mini 4 Stroke" things, but in a mower, I wouldn't want to be mixing oil and fuel.

Plus, I prefer the low pitched noise a 4 Stroke makes, rather than the high pitched scream of a 2 Stroke.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have nothing against 2 Stroke engines, and when I buy a trimmer, it will obviously have a 2 Stroke engine, as I don't have money for those new "Mini 4 Stroke" things, but in a mower, I wouldn't want to be mixing oil and fuel.

Plus, I prefer the low pitched noise a 4 Stroke makes, rather than the high pitched scream of a 2 Stroke.

The old (I'm talking '70s vintage) Lawn-Boy two-strokes are about the quietest mowers you can find. It's not so much a two- vs. four-stroke thing but they had huge mufflers, mounted under the deck.

It's too bad they're not made anymore -- at least in the hyper-regulated USA. :confused2:

Mac 624

Threads
We run a SABO 43 cm with a Suzuki 2stroke engine, built in 1992 and Toro with Kawasaki 2stroke. Both have been bought used and they give us a lot of Value for the money. They run much quieter than the Briggs we had before on the Mountfield and Viking Mowers and use much less fuel, even as we have to mix.

They bags are always filled completely, and they SABO is easy to push, cause it is not a selfdriven.

sss

Threads
4 stroke all the time its runs smoother is quiteryou dont have to faf about mixing oil allroun better :banana:

Dallas Burgher

Forum Newbie
Threads
Two strokes are hard to beat for power, light weight, and lubrication in hilly terrain.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Two strokes are hard to beat for power, light weight, and lubrication in hilly terrain.

Well put -- it's a shame you can't buy them new anymore in the US.

What are you supposed to do if you have to do a lot of mowing in hilly areas? Keep burning up and replacing four-stroke engines?

My solution has been to acquire a new hobby: collecting and fixing up old two-stroke mowers. :wink:

Dallas Burgher

Forum Newbie
Threads
John Deere used to make a four stroke that had an oil pump. I don' t know if that is still true.

jamesslcx

Threads
I like them both! Right now I dont have a two-stroke but I am always looking, both have good points.