Two questions about crankshaft and non-blade flywheel

MattCW

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Two questions about crankshaft and non-blade flywheel
Hi all,

I'm rebuilding, or at least overhauling, a Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine (Model: 124802-3219-01) and I have two questions. The first, is I've taken everything off and out of the engine, cleaned it, etc. now I'm reassembling it. I put the crankshaft, camshaft, and slinger/governor in place, but discovered that the two halves of the engine "block" don't fit. The problem seems to be the Woodruff key on the metal "main" gear on the crankshaft (the one that turns the camshaft). No matter which way I turn the gear, it won't fit where it used to, thus allowing the two halves of the engine to close. When I was disassembling the engine, it was kind of hectic so I don't remember how it fit before. The best I can come up with is the gear is supposed to be press-fit over the Woodruff key, but I'm not sure how to accomplish this. I assume it would be bad to stick the gear on, then use the block bolts to force the two halves onto each other thus forcing the gear onto the key? An answer to this elsewhere indicated that the gear shouldn't just come off so am I out a crankshaft?

My second question for a little down the road. I understand that lawn mower engines, particularly ones with aluminum flywheels like this one, are designed to have the blade serve as the "rest" of the flywheel. For now, I just want to make it run, so what would be a good replacement flywheel in place of a blade? I'm thinking a ~3-4lb (4 inch I think) pulley wheel I saw, but do I need to go that big?

Thanks for any help!

Matt

P.S. if any of you are active on other forums, I have asked this question pretty much verbatim elsewhere, I just like getting as many varying opinions as possible.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / Two questions about crankshaft and non-blade flywheel
On some engines the drive gear on the crankshaft that turns the camshaft is a press fit and if it came off then you have to replace the crank. On others the gear is a slip fit and just slides over the key on the crank. Sometimes the two halves don't like to fit together because the gears don't mesh correctly. If the gear is sliding down over the key and make sure everything is installed correctly, and put the cover on, then turn the crankshaft and see if the two halves slide together. Possibly the side cover is also hanging up on the alignment pins in the block,which can prevent the halves from going together.