Turf Tracer X series 52 vs 60?

Tracer_Fletch

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm already running a 2008 X series 52 and amazing is an understatement. Ive used almost every walk behind out there and it doesn't take long to see why exmark reigns supreme. So I'm fully committed to which brand and model but I'm fighting 52 vs 60. Mow mainly residential but have quite a few acre+ accounts. Although I already run a 52 I would have no prob running 2 but I'm really leaning toward a 60 which I've never run on a daily basis. Just wondering if anyone could throw some first hand exp regarding mainly the striping diff 52 vs 60 (if any) and if the 60 scalps noticeably more and lastly if the additional deck weight on the 60 makes it anymore difficult to lift the deck while moving. ( navigating curbs, roots, uneven terrain, etc...) and lastly has anyone ever noticed a diff as far as grass clumps in the 52 v 60. Additional $ is negligible so price not a factor. Thanks !!

LoCo86

Threads
I also have an Exmark 52" Turf Tracer x-series and I agree that they make one of the best mowers out there. However I encourage you to stick with the 52" cut. To me it's the largest size deck you can use on a residential property and still maintain the maneuverability to get around those tight obstacles. The 52" unit also has a slightly lighter weight to keep that light footprint that most homeowners will appreciate. Getting to the use of a 60" deck I would see no problem with that size as long as you're cutting at 3.5" or higher. Due to the fact that most residential yards are not as smooth as football fields or golf courses. The 60" deck like you noted also puts extra weight on the front end and can be difficult to manage when climbing over curbs and trying to lift the front end of the mower to float over those undulating areas in the yard that could cause you to scalp and damage the turf. To sum up I would stick with the 52" deck especially if you plan on running two mowers on a single property not only to maintain uniformity in the striping but to get a better quality of cut.

Note: The light weight on the front end of the 52" also makes lifting the front end of the mower easier for maintenance if you don't have a jack and receiver or Mo-Jack to lift the front end to service the underside of the deck.

Tracer_Fletch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info LoCo. Just the simple fact that you take into account the uniformity of the stripes means I'm not the only OCD mower out there...lol. Freakin awesome! You made some good points and its always easy to spot a fellow mower who actually knows what's up. 80% of my lawns are @ 3.5 with 10% even higher. So basically very few of my accounts are cut any lower and it would b no prob to run my current 52 on those. Most of my lawns are fairly wide open and flat with a few exceptions but again none of those are too big to run just one machine on. So with that in mind it sounds like the main drawback is the additional deck weight. Didn't see you mention a loss in striping with the 60 so it's a toss up. I really appreciate the reply and let's just hope winter stays always as long as it can this year!

LoCo86

Threads
You're welcome Fletch. One positive about the 60" deck is that it seems to disperse grass clippings better. I don't know if its the larger deck size that allows more airflow and circulation of the grass or the larger opening of the discharge chute. Either way it throws the clippings wider and farther in smaller pieces. As far as being O.C.D. I have no doubt that I am. Being a one man operator puts me in a position to only be able to run one piece of equipment at a time. So maintaining uniform lines in striping yards is not an issue. However, if I were running a two man crew as I stated before I would still like to be able to run the same size deck just so everything would match up and flow together. Summing up I would once again recommend the 52" deck. Having a 60" will not increase your productivity that much to sacrifice the quality of cut and overall look of your clients property. Bigger is not always better and the higher chance of scalping certain areas of the property would not be worth it to me. I hope this helps- LoCo86

LoCo86

Threads
I'm already running a 2008 X series 52 and amazing is an understatement. Ive used almost every walk behind out there and it doesn't take long to see why exmark reigns supreme. So I'm fully committed to which brand and model but I'm fighting 52 vs 60. Mow mainly residential but have quite a few acre+ accounts. Although I already run a 52 I would have no prob running 2 but I'm really leaning toward a 60 which I've never run on a daily basis. Just wondering if anyone could throw some first hand exp regarding mainly the striping diff 52 vs 60 (if any) and if the 60 scalps noticeably more and lastly if the additional deck weight on the 60 makes it anymore difficult to lift the deck while moving. ( navigating curbs, roots, uneven terrain, etc...) and lastly has anyone ever noticed a diff as far as grass clumps in the 52 v 60. Additional $ is negligible so price not a factor. Thanks !!

Did you ever decide which mower you were going to purchase?