Turf Tiger will die when drive engaged

Simplefarmer

Threads
I have a Turf Tiger with a Kohler engine. After mowing for about 30 minutes it suddenly does not want to move forward without acting like it will die. You can get to go forward very slowly. It seems to be needing more gas. It does not miss or make unusual sounds. It just doesn't want to go. This will happen if the mower is engaged or not engaged. It doesn't matter. It acts like it is straining to run when you try to move forward.

I have changed the fuel filter thinking that I have ignored changing that long enough. It didn't seem to matter.

Has anyone had this problem and has some answers? I hope it is something that has an easy fix (positive thinking).

Turf Tiger body
Model: STT61V-26CH-EFI
Serial #: K1900995

Kohler Engine. 26.5 EFI
Model: ECH749 - 3043
Serial #: 4408804871
Build Date: 3/27/2014 N11238

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Check to see if the engine is throwing DTC code.

1688310560543.png

Simplefarmer

Threads
I checked for a code, but only got the 61 code. Should I be checking for the code immediately when the symptoms occur?

I just checked it as it was starting to die and lose power while mowing. It still only gives the 61 code.

Will a code tell me if there is a coil or fuel pump failure?

Last edited:

Simplefarmer

Threads
An update on symptoms. It started to die after about 20 minutes of mowing, so I disengaged the mower deck and it was running OK. I increased the rpms and re-engaged the mower deck and it died immediately. I tried to start the mower a few times and it would not start. It did not even act like it would start. Just cranking. I checked for a DTC code, and it only gave the 61 code. Could someone give me some direction to check different components to help me figure out what to do next? Thanks.

I have also seen where a "regulator/rectifier" could cause this problem.

Last edited:

Simplefarmer

Threads
Finally the mower will not start at all and I finally got a code, "0337". Does anyone know what that means?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
1688843565878.png

Simplefarmer

Threads
Would a sensor error keep the mower from starting? Should I replace the sensor?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I would think so but I would be asking a Kohler dealer that has more experience with these engines. I do know it affects engine ignition timing. They are fairly new on the market and have yet to even see one in my shop.

Simplefarmer

Threads
Turns out the problem is a failing fuel pump caused by deteriorating fuel lines (10 years old).

Gas tank -> short fuel line -> fuel filter -> long fuel line -> fuel pump

Seems like the fuel filter should be just in front of the the "expensive" fuel pump, but that was not how the engine was designed.