Tubes into 15X6.00-6NHS HOW!!!!!!

phoyt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Craftsman T1000, model 917. 203900. I hate to post this but I'm old and tired of being stupid. Over many years mowing my 3 acres I've had more than my fair share of flats. Mostly the front 15X6.00-6NHS size. I purchase Replacement inner tubes but they are just impossible for me to get right. The rims are too soft to pry off the tire. I used to see Carlyle rims and tires but now only see Chinese no-names. I don't have a bead breaker. Is there no real trick that makes this possible? Been doing this for decades and it's just getting worse. Please advise.
Pete

Attachments

• croc_1686424108706.jpg
    croc_1686424108706.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 5

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Apparently you have no earthly idea how tires are mounted on rims. You can't simply brute force the tire off the rims. The tire beads are wire reinforced and will not stretch like a rubber band.

Now of course you need to work in a full service gas station to get the hang of this but a wait a minute there is no such thing now as days.

Currently the tire rim in you post is totally ruined.

Next time go to Harbor Freight and buy their mini tire changer so you can break down the bead, You still need large screwdrivers to the tire off and on but the ^ inch rims are a heck a lot easier to do than the 4 inch one I do here. It will nee to be mounted some where so you can use it.

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Once you find a new rim..........

You can always use the tried and true redneck bead breaker. Place the wheel and tire with the valve core removed in front of the front tire of a car so that when the car rolls forward it only gets the tire and not the rim. This takes 2 people. After you break the first side flip it over and do the other side. The small mower tires are a real PITA to work with if you don't have a mini tire changer.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
One of the few HF devices I would recommend is their mini tyre changer .
To get the tyre off you need to get the tyre off the bead on both sides and into the channel in the middle of the wheel
Then work the tyre off using the removal tool
I found it works best if you rotate it while trying to drag it around the rim

Having said that why are you fitting tubes ?
Tubeless is the way to go.
So much easier to fit a MOWER TYRE PLUG ( not a car tyre plug ) into the tyre while it is mounted than dragging the tyre off the rim pulling the tube out patching / replaceing the tube then refitting the wheel .
I use the Northern Labs plugs , while the kit is not cheap, the plugs are .
After the first use put the plugs into a zip lock snack bag to keep the air off them so they do not go off .

Car plugs thermally vuncanise so you need heat to activate the chemicals to bond fully to the rubber
They are also designed to take 100 PSI

Mower plugs use chemicals to bond to the rubber as in use a mower tyre never flexes enough to get hot enough to activate the glues used in car / motorcycle plugs .
Do not any of those laytex glues supposed to stop your tubes going flat because none of them actually work long term and once used you can not plug the tyre .
We have some Sub Cadets used to mow the 1000 acre pasture and in particular the 3 creeks where all sorts of thorny plants germinate .
One of the front wheels has better than 40 plugs and nothing odd to have to fit 4 or 5 in a single session
On some bigger holes I use tractor tyre plugs , same chemistry as a mower plug but the plugging material comes on a roll so you can make up a golf ball sized plug
They are a little tricky to fit but do work really well .

phoyt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Apparently you have no earthly idea how tires are mounted on rims.
Correct. This result shows obvious frustration. But in my defense this tire (which came with tubes) had the bead loose on both sides, and I had pushed both sides into the rim for maximum acceptance of a tire tool.
Then work the tyre off using the removal tool
I found it works best if you rotate it while trying to drag it around the rim
I completely agree. The plan was to put a long rod through the axle hole, to pry against (rotate around) after getting the tire edge exposed using one or two of the tire irons. Tried three times.
You can always use the tried and true redneck bead breaker.
Good idea but it wasn't necessary as the tire had tubes when purchased, and no bead sealer as far as I could see.

The rim was toast after being careful a few times, so I figured I'd just see how bad the rim would bend. Notice the sweat all over the tire. I was spending time trying to do this correct. I used to have a set of old white rims in my attic that I wish I had kept.

I appreciate all the advice. I've plugged many tires, but at some point I cracked a sidewall and bought these cheaper tires on Amazon. It might be better to go back to tubeless, then also get a HF tire removal tool. A trip into town for father's day is coming up.

Pete

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Now I have even with mini tire changer, the older the tire the more of a pain to get it off and on. Here I have to use large flat blade screw driver to work the tire off an on. The tire changer usually work great with new tires. The rubber is just more pliable.

Just did a 11-4 x 5 tire that is about 4 yrs old. I could only get them half way off and the screwdrivers came out to get it off the rest off the way to repair the inner tube. Then it was the same going back on. But I have been doing this for a long time too. Five inch rim is no where near as bad as a four inch rim. Get easier as you go up in rim size. Although some the 24-12 x 12 inch tires are a pain on the Hustler rims. Front side comes off easy but the back side is a royal pain.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Prior to getting the tyre changer I used a Breezer tyre tool
The important thing with all of these is LUBE and plenty of it .

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got tired of fighting with tires.
Got the HF mini tire changer. The HF manual tire changer. A 5lb bucket of tire soap. A quart of bead sealer. Half a dozen various size tire spoons and an air blast bead seater. Life is easier with tools.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Got tired of fighting with tires.
Got the HF mini tire changer. The HF manual tire changer. A 5lb bucket of tire soap. A quart of bead sealer. Half a dozen various size tire spoons and an air blast bead seater. Life is easier with tools.
Yes things are a lot easier when you got the proper tools.

phoyt

Forum Newbie
Threads
When y'all talk about lube and soap, where do buy this? I gotta get good tools now. A tick bite aged me 20 years.

I've been thinking about the air blaster bead sealer too. I once resorted to karo syrup to get a bead to finally seat using my 80 gallon compressor. It didn't seem to hurt the tire and the ants cleaned it all up by the next day.

Pete