Trying to find location of starter & flywheel for FR651V when part lookup site sucks

NobleFarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Trying to find location of starter & flywheel for FR651V when part lookup site sucks
First time poster here.

I have a Hustler Raptor SD model 938654 with about 410 hours on a Kawasaki FR651V-BS34-R that will not start and makes only a spinning noise. Last time I ran it was a week or two ago. I've only had the mower since 390 hours, and never had a startup issue before other than the cause being low on gas or fuel once each.

Troubleshooting steps & recent maintenance:
  • I recently changed the oil and air filter @ 400 hours
  • After it wouldn't start, I just installed a new fuel filter & pump
  • After it wouldn't start it tested OK for its charge and a little low being under simulated load, so recharged the battery with a trickle charger & retested OK
  • I topped off transmission fluid to cold fill line
Based on my online research, when engaging starter and I hear a spinning sound without any clicking or chugging the sound matches the scenario where the starter or some related gear part will not engage the flywheel. Does that seem the most plausible explanation? Anything else I should check?

I'm willing to try to remove the engine cover to access the starter, see it or the nearby parts in action, then take action on replacing parts.

The only official parts lookup I can find is here: http://parts.kawasaki.eu/kepcc/kepcc?ALIAS=99253

They don't have my exact model (perhaps because its an EU site?), as the closest models a FR651V-BS30 or FR651V-BS37.
When I select one of those models, and look at the diagrams, there is one for the starter itself, and then there's a bunch of other ones where I can't tell where the starter as a whole fits in the engine.
Also when I try switching between diagrams, the site often loads the first diagram I already viewed, unless perhaps I reload the page using Incognito mode. I've tried Chrome and Edge browsers.

So where is the starter located in this engine? Can I just remove the engine cover to get to it, or is there more of the engine that I need to take apart than that?

Thank you in advance.