Troybilt Trimmer Broken Pull Cord Repair Help

Kennykenny

Threads
I have a Troybilt TB25CS trimmer in which the pull cord has been pulled all of the way out of the unit and won't retract. Can anyone provide instructions on how to repair this? Written instructions and/or a video to view. I am told that this is a fairly "complicated" procedure. True? Thanks!

primerbulb120

Threads
I have the tb20cs model. I have looked at a diagram of yours and their starting system is very similar. I will try to create a video on how to fix this and post it within a few days.

Kennykenny

Threads
I have the tb20cs model. I have looked at a diagram of yours and their starting system is very similar. I will try to create a video on how to fix this and post it within a few days.

Great. Thanks a lot. I appreciate the help.

primerbulb120

Threads
Before taking it apart, it may help to kick the trimmer engine several times (yes, I'm serious.) If the starter is jammed, this could free it up. Tell me if it does!

Kennykenny

Threads
Before taking it apart, it may help to kick the trimmer engine several times (yes, I'm serious.) If the starter is jammed, this could free it up. Tell me if it does!

I "beat" on the side and top of the unit with a rubber mallet. This retracted the cord back into the unit. I had to do this several times(pull/retract) before it allowed me to get the unit to start.

I hope that this solves the issue but am thinking that it might be a short term solution before it happens again.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things I have seen on MTD trimmer the last few years are starter housing that appear to warp, and jam the recoil rope, and the starter pawls on the flywheel bending at a 90 degree angle.

primerbulb120

Threads
I "beat" on the side and top of the unit with a rubber mallet. This retracted the cord back into the unit. I had to do this several times(pull/retract) before it allowed me to get the unit to start.

I hope that this solves the issue but am thinking that it might be a short term solution before it happens again.

I am glad that helped! Since it was just a short term solution, will still post a video on how to get the housing off sometime today.

Kennykenny

Threads
I am glad that helped! Since it was just a short term solution, will still post a video on how to get the housing off sometime today.

Excellent! Once again, thanks for your help!

primerbulb120

Threads
I created the video, but I can't post it. The forum program only accepts links to existing online videos. So, I began taking pictures to make an illustrated how to. Sorry about the inconvenience. The article should be finished and posted tomorrow.

Kennykenny

Threads
I created the video, but I can't post it. The forum program only accepts links to existing online videos. So, I began taking pictures to make an illustrated how to. Sorry about the inconvenience. The article should be finished and posted tomorrow.

Thank you. Just let me know.