troybilt bronco stalls when PTO IS engaged

clifford christensen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a troy bilt bronco model 13yx78kso11. Engine runs rough then stalls when PTO is engaged. otherwise it runs fine. Already replaced air filter, gas filter and spark plug. Drained gas and replaced with fresh gas. I spray cleaned carb with choke cleaner. The engine is a kohler courage 19 hp model sv590 -3220 DOM 04/2013

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Something to check. Make sure the plastic carb mounting flange hasn't come loose. Of the two carb mounting studs only the left stud screws into the engine block. The other one is a square headed into the back of the plastic mounting flange. the second bolt that holds mounting flange tight is the bolt that connects the negative ground wire for the fuel solenoid. If that bolt comes loose it will allow the carb to suck air at the intake. If that bolt is loose it is also a good idea to go ahead and remove the carb and the mounting adapter because sometimes the gasket gets torn from the movement of the carb.

Have had more than one come into the shop over the years that ran poorly and found that bolt loose. If I remember correctly the bolt head takes a 8 mm socket to tighten.

clifford christensen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Something to check. Make sure the plastic carb mounting flange hasn't come loose. Of the two carb mounting studs only the left stud screws into the engine block. The other one is a square headed into the back of the plastic mounting flange. the second bolt that holds mounting flange tight is the bolt that connects the negative ground wire for the fuel solenoid. If that bolt comes loose it will allow the carb to suck air at the intake. If that bolt is loose it is also a good idea to go ahead and remove the carb and the mounting adapter because sometimes the gasket gets torn from the movement of the carb.

Have had more than one come into the shop over the years that ran poorly and found that bolt loose. If I remember correctly the bolt head takes a 8 mm socket to tighten.

clifford christensen

Forum Newbie
Threads
You are correct those nuts are 8 MM. I tightened both nuts up snuggly and test ran the mower. It still stalls when the PTO is engaged. Do you have any more suggestions?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The running poorly would be me first priority. Did you just spray carb cleaner into the carb, or actually take it apart and clean the inside of the carb.

clifford christensen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I sprayed the carb cleaner into the carb. I will next remove the carb and totally clean it up, check the gasket and replace if necessary I've not this type of work before but I will proceed with caution.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take pictures as you take it apart to make it easier to reassemble.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nice photo explanations at This Site
As Ilengine said, a camera ( on a stand ) is your best friend
BE careful removing jets, the screwdriver must be a really good fit
I usually clamp the carb in a vice ( soft jaws) and use a power screwdriver tip turning it with a 1/4" ring so I can press down hard while turning square .
They are easily buggered and not cheap to replace .

clifford christensen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Take pictures as you take it apart to make it easier to reassemble.
I took the carb off of the engine and spray cleaned it . I didn't see dirt/gunk inside. I reassembled back to working condition. It started right up and ran 5 minutes with the PTO engaged. The engine ran fine then ran rough and stalled out 3 times in the next 10 minutes, not as often as it did before cleaning but a steady run as it should. I'm open for the carb to be replaced, But that would your recommendation. I'm game for most anything

clifford christensen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took the carb off of the engine and spray cleaned it . I didn't see dirt/gunk inside. I reassembled back to working condition. It started right up and ran 5 minutes with the PTO engaged. The engine ran fine then ran rough and stalled out 3 times in the next 10 minutes, not as often as it did before cleaning but a steady run as it should. I'm open for the carb to be replaced, But that would your recommendation. I'm game for most anything