Troy built mowers, don't want the oil changed, just add to original oil ??

Threads
  • / Troy built mowers, don't want the oil changed, just add to original oil ??
I worked on a troybuilt power drive push mower and on the shield on top of the engine, says add oil, butdont change? I change the oil on all my mowers each spring. Has anyone seen any mower that tells you don't change the oil???

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Briggs has been using this concept for a few years. If you want to change the oil go ahead. The concept behind it is by replacing 20% of the volume of oil, which is the difference between the add and full marks on the dipstick, you will replenish the additives to keep the oil within operational standards. The requirements behind meeting this require regular maintenance of the spark plug and air filter.

Now the whole thing comes down to most people don't change their pushmower oil anyway and this has been going on forever. And the issue with the no change oil is the people that don't change their oil also don't service the air filter or spark plug.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not just Briggs but Kohler is following suit. They said to change the oil if you like but you have to turn the engine upside down to do it and pour the oil out. Since they no longer put a drain pug in the oil pan. Or you can make siphon to siphon the oil out. Someone who worked where I do now made a siphon system. Worth its weight in gold and not just to change the oil also siphons out gas and other liquides as well. They also made a roll around work bench that you can raise the mower on the lift and roll the work bench under the mower and take the deck off without crawling around on the floor. Quite ingenious if you as me. Sure made it a lot easier on me.

woodstover

Threads
I worked on a troybuilt power drive push mower and on the shield on top of the engine, says add oil, butdont change? I change the oil on all my mowers each spring. Has anyone seen any mower that tells you don't change the oil???
2016 Husvarna with B&S engine. "Just add oil" when required. I just sucked the oil out and replaced every year.

CraigH

Threads

upupandaway

Threads
You know their next step will be to eliminate the fill tube\plug and just add oil before bolting the engine block together.

Lawn Addict
Threads
likely.......

KM Richards

Threads

Meh, they just want to sell you a new mower soon er than normal, or at least a new engine.

It's all part of THEIR corporate plan to in crease their bottom line!
In other words, it's all about them and nothing about their customers.

Best thing to do is change the oil easy season and put in Amsoil 10w30 Synthetic Small Engine Oil along a filter change (if it has an oil filter)... and watch that mower last for many years to come.