Engine Troy Built (13WN77KS011) Briggs Stratton 17.5 hp Runs Rough

fakeid43

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Troy Built (13WN77KS011) Briggs Stratton 17.5 hp Runs Rough
Runs rough, sounds like it is missing or will die if I start the blades. Only starts in fast will not choke, very loud popping. Changed spark plug, oil is good, battery is good, tried with and without air filter same results. Female with little mechanical experience, friend is not much better but can follow directions. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Marie.

Attachments

• IMG_0597.JPG
    IMG_0597.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 10

Ifixdit

Threads
Runs rough, sounds like it is missing or will die if I start the blades. Only starts in fast will not choke, very loud popping. Changed spark plug, oil is good, battery is good, tried with and without air filter same results. Female with little mechanical experience, friend is not much better but can follow directions. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Marie.

Very loud popping usually means a valve is not properly closing. The valve cover on the front of the engine needs to be removed. Is there anything loose or falling out in there?? If yes, then that's part of the problem. The valves will need to be adjusted. Find a YouTube video that shows this. If no, then pull the spark plug and rotate the engine by hand. Each of the springs in the valve cover should open and close the same distance. If one doesn't then you have a bad camshaft which requires removal and disassembly of the engine to correct. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Post the model numbers off the engine and I will get you a service manual.

fakeid43

Forum Newbie
Threads
Very loud popping usually means a valve is not properly closing. The valve cover on the front of the engine needs to be removed. Is there anything loose or falling out in there?? If yes, then that's part of the problem. The valves will need to be adjusted. Find a YouTube video that shows this. If no, then pull the spark plug and rotate the engine by hand. Each of the springs in the valve cover should open and close the same distance. If one doesn't then you have a bad camshaft which requires removal and disassembly of the engine to correct. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Thanks will watch video. I took video of my mower trying to get it to upload.

vabear

Threads
Try putting a little water out in the fuel tank,( condensation in the fuel will cause hard start, rough ilel and stalling) may not work but it is a cheap fix if it does work.