Troy-bilt trimmer w/ speedspool

SeanF

Threads
Does anyone have any tips for this thing, namely the trimmer spool? It's one where you insert the string through one side and out the other then crank the spool to wind it up. That works, but it ALWAYS binds up when using it and tapping it on the ground. Is it just the nature of these things, or am I doing something wrong?

Threads
My Echo SRM-225 with the speed-feed head works great, so I don't know if it is the trimmers fault or your fault! :laughing:

Lawnranger

Threads
Try a PivoTrim trimmer head. I put one on my trimmer and never looked back. Two models available - PivoTrim and PivoTrim Pro. If you have a straight shaft trimmer, get the Pro model. You won't be sorry. Amazon has some good prices but check out FeeBay, oops, I mean, eBay.

SeanF

Threads
sweet thanks. I didn't realize you could just out the heads like that :eek:

possum

Threads
My neighbor has one. He says you cannot let the length of line get short by more than about half before bumping it or the line gets hot and welds itself to the rest of the line inside the trimmer head. The Troybilt site says the same thing.

Lawnranger

Threads
sweet thanks. I didn't realize you could just out the heads like that :eek:

Trimmer heads are usually threaded on and some are left hand thread so do your due diligence and find out which way the head unscrews. Sometimes there is a hole to insert a #1 size screwdriver such as Echo & Stihl trimmers and sometimes there is nothing - beware.

SeanF

Threads
ok excellent. thank you guys very much!

I hadn't noticed any melting, just the cord binding up - but that could have been what started it. I will try to keep from letting the string get less than 1/2 length and see if that improves it. I guess I need to break out the manual again and go back over it.

possum

Threads
Let us know what you figure out.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Echo SRM-225 with the speed-feed head works great, so I don't know if it is the trimmers fault or your fault! :laughing:

I use the same echo for my business love the speed head however it does not hold much string.
The other echo one model up use the removable head that you remove put string on and put back on and this holds 4 armlengths (2 arms out stretched) and the speed feed holds 3 max and barely