Mower deck Troy Bilt Pony Model 13AX78KS - PTO Issue

romanks

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently removed the Deck (followed the instruction book provided with the tractor) on my mower to have the blades sharpened and balanced. When I reconnected everything and started running the tractor in the yard, things sounded normal and worked normal. About 1/3 the way into the cut, when I was re-engaging the PTO, I noticed I didn't get the "normal" sound I was used to when I would engage the blades. This continued to worsen as I continued to cut.

So, I went out and bought a new belt. Took the deck out again, put the belt on. Same thing. It stated out sounding and working fine, and slowly degraded through the cutting.

Some things I noticed: I normally set the deck height to the middle ("level" 3 of 5) to cut. If I put the deck height at 5 (the highest setting) the PTO engages as I am use to hearing, as I move it back down to position 3, you can hear a small loss in the rotation of the blades. The power of the engine does not seem to be affected by any of this.

Something that I did when I took the deck off the first time to clean the deck was I removed the spring for the pulley system (not the PTO tension sprint) and put it back as the manual has it showing (hook side of spring facing down). I doubt that has anything to do with it, but I am not sure.

The only thing I can think of, is the PTO spring that runs from the handle to the deck mechanism has stretched? I don't know how that would have happened, as I didn't muscle anything when I took it apart.

Does anyone have an idea on what may be causing this? or what needs to be adjusted/fixed? I am sure it is something simple, but can't seem to put my finger on it.

Any help or thoughts are appreciated!

Rickshawky

Threads
The only thing I can think of, is the PTO spring that runs from the handle to the deck mechanism has stretched? I don't know how that would have happened, as I didn't muscle anything when I took it apart.

I don't have an answer for you on this, but sure do hope someone has, mine does the same thing. But I 'think' your on the right track with the spring. On mine it'll only cut at 4 or 5 and won't even turn at any lower setting. Believe I need to change the whole thing linkage and all :frown: ... and that job don't look like any fun at all !
My spring look's fine too, but think 'maybe' the linkage has stretched out (or something) :eek: :anyone: