Troy-Bilt ltx 16 different engine

xpackdals

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got a troy bilt ltx16 model # 310512 given to me it was a basket case with no engine but it had a 52" deck so i took it and it came with a 16 hp brigg engine model# 42a707 type 1238.01 code 96022658. I hooked up the engine and got it running and it seems to run great i used it all last summer but it never was charging so i just jumped it. Today i decided to try to figure out what is wrong with the charging system and found out that i have a system that doesnt require a rectifier/regulator at least thats what i think from what i have seen. So i started troubleshooting it and my engine only has 2 wires coming from the stator one is black ( for lights) and one has a diode in it and it is red for charging i tested the diode and it says it is good. I started the engine and checked the voltage coming out of the red wire and i get at least 14.5 volts dc with engine revved up and it drops the lower the engine rpm.But when i hook the red wire to the positive on the battery it drops to 13-13.5 volts. I believe this had a 16hp vanguard originally and i am not sure if i need to change something around to accomodate this charge system or what . Ayn suggestions how to wire this engine to get it to charge thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From what you posted your charging system is working fine. The reason it reads lower when hooked to the battery is, the battery is nearly fully charged and only needs the lower voltage.

xpackdals

Forum Newbie
Threads
when using it this summer after running for about 2 hrs and shutting it off then trying to restart the battery did not have enough turn it over to start it and the battery is new. I know on other 12 v systems that it is normal to get 14 plus volts at the battery while running the vehicle even when the battery is at about 12.5 volts. I figured this should be about the same 14 plus i just dont think the 13 to 13.5 is charging the battery enough. Are you thinking the stator has a regulator built in and it is stepping down the voltage because that is what im struggling with the most im not understanding how i get 14 plus until i hook the wire to the hot side of battery then it drops to just whatever volts thats in the battery. Thankyou for the help

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have what is know as a dual circuit charging system. There is no regulator in your system, just the diode rectifier to change you AC current to DC for charging the battery and the other AC circuit for lights. Any voltage over 13.2 will be charging your battery although it will be a small charge. You might be loosing voltage through poor connects or a bad ground.

xpackdals

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok i did test the diode today but i thought the only thing it did was allow current one way and not the other i wasnt aware of it regulating voltage to.I will be working on it tomorrow i will check my grounds tomorrow and connections.I am familiar with the external rectifier/regulators and im just not sure if the original engine had that type or not which led me to wondering if the tractor was wired for that type of system or the type that i now have. But from what i have seen of a wiring diagram for this tractor it was set up with the same type of charging that i have in this engine.I will let you know what i find tomorrow and thanks

xpackdals

Forum Newbie
Threads
That will help thanks. Today i checked all my grounds and connections and they appear to be good.I wired everything back the way it was and put multimeter on bat and started engine and it showed about 13 volts and slowly climbed to 14.5 volts but it was slow.I ran it for a while and shut it off and restarted it a few times then the starter was really dragging down like the bat was weak.So i pulled the starter and noticed the armature was sloppy so i had another starter i put on it that is good but no change.Now it will only go up to 12.70 volts at full throttle.Tomorrow i am going to do the amp test to see if im getting anything out of the red wire from stator. I did some research today and the engine that was in this tractor from the factory was a 16hp vanguard that had a 10-16 amp stator with a rectifier/regulator.The engine i have has the dual circuit 3 amp stator self regulating in it now.Not that any of this is the problem but this tractor is equiped with electric clutch,electric cruise control,and electric lift for mower deck.I am now wondering if maybe i have a bad stator and if so if i (should/or can) buy a bigger amp stator and install it or will the 3 amp do the job.Even though this is not a vanguard engine i have everything working except charging and i sure would like to figure it out any help is appreciated thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As I said earlier, your charging system is working fine, stator is good, it is a 3 amp system and you are getting the highest output. About installing a larger system, it may work, but you will have to do some rewiring. May also have to charge the flywheel, as some systems use larger magnets. Question is, is it worth the cost?

xpackdals

Forum Newbie
Threads
yea im wondering about the cost myself but if i knew it would work and i knew what parts would work i would start looking for some used stuff.In your opinion do you think my system is just to small for this tractor.And the thing i am not getting about my system is it worked its way up to 14.5 volts 1 time yesterday but only once and if its unregulated i keep thinking it should always be getting around 14.5 volts at the battery when on high rpms and to be honest i was a little afraid of testing dc amps coming out of the stator like the link you sent me shows im not that comfortable with using a multimeter but i am going to try that test for dc amps maybe mine quits charging when it gets warm.Do you think if mine is working correct it could keep up with clutch,cruise,lift on this tractor.Thanks for all the help with this it is defenitely a learning curve for me.I am big in diy stuff like this and like figure out how to make stuff like this work.

xpackdals

Forum Newbie
Threads
i was able to put in a 10 amp stator with regulator and it seems to be working fine thanks for all the help