Troy Bilt Kohler starting issue

ARMYtango

Threads
Hello all...

I am having an issue with trying to get a Kohler 19 to start and was wondering if any of you out there can possibly point me in the right direction?

The battery is new and fully charged, and the carb was just cleaned and rebuilt.

Please see the video below to see my issue and note that the key was being held in the start position during the course of the video..

Could the starter be going?

Thanks in advance!

http://youtu.be/cEY7qL9QvvQ

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Starter is likely Fine... Your valves need adjusting.
:smile:KennyV

gregjo1948

Threads
I agree with KennyV on the valve adjusting. I think there is a built-in compresion release involving the exhaust valve. If the clearence is too much, it doesn't hold that exhaust valve open as it should, creating too much compression for the stater to roll the engine over. gregjo1948

ARMYtango

Threads
Thank you again.

Hopefully I will be able to get to it this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Anyone know what the gap should be (.003, .004, etc)?

Thanks again!

ARMYtango

Threads
OK Folks...

Took the cover off, and the valve on the left was flopping around in the breeze.
Unfortunately, after adjusting it to specs (.005), and trying to start it...it is still trying to start the same way (no change).

Is there anything else I can look into?

Just to verify, TDC is when the 3 indented dots on the side of the crank is lined up with the starter, correct? This is where it was when I adjust the valve.

Thanks again!

gregjo1948

Threads
Did you adjust both intake and exhaust valves? Be sure that the valves are completely closed when you set them. gregjo1948

ARMYtango

Threads
Did you adjust both intake and exhaust valves? Be sure that the valves are completely closed when you set them. gregjo1948

Yes Sir. Both where adjusted to .005 when at TDC.

gregjo1948

Threads
I'm quite sure, after watching the video, the valves need correct adjusting. I,m not sure on your Kohler but on some engines the in&ex vavles are momentarily open at the same time to relieve some compression so the engine will roll over easier.TDC may not be when to set the gap. That's why I said to be sure the valves were closed when adjusting. gregjo1948

ARMYtango

Threads
I'm quite sure, after watching the video, the valves need correct adjusting. I,m not sure on your Kohler but on some engines the in&ex vavles are momentarily open at the same time to relieve some compression so the engine will roll over easier.TDC may not be when to set the gap. That's why I said to be sure the valves were closed when adjusting. gregjo1948

Roger.

I will double check on that.

Thank you!