Troy-Bilt 4 cycle backpack leaf blower has no high rpm

Richie F

Threads
  • / Troy-Bilt 4 cycle backpack leaf blower has no high rpm
Hmm it looks Walbro has change their website for the worst. It only list six WYLB carbs going from -1-1 to -6-1 and no ipls. Companies just keep trying to shove stuff down the good techs throats.

I was once to look up about everything for these carbs. Now it a major guessing game.
You got that right.
Funny I contacted Troy-Bilt to ask about parts for this and they said I could only get a short block.
Contacted MTD and it was the same place but a different phone number.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Don't you like how we are being treated as idiots? They get caught every once when the same person the phone although they claim to working for the other company.

And lately my sales reps have been lying to me too. Gardner changed their system back at the first week of the month. They said they didn't change my password, yet I could not login. After two weeks I finally got a reply from their support and they indeed changed my password but then I already used a password cracker to get in, And my Gardner sales rep is a Space Cadet too. On top of that they no longer have me set up as a Hydro Gear warranty center. Although don't matter other than they will not warranty any of the HG parts now.

Plus I no longer can download the current price files as the new system don't have them loaded for us that buy from them.

I beginning to wonder if it is worth the headaches dealing the distributors anymore.

TobyU

Threads
OK so an MTD engine is a AC4. Now if I need parts, like rings, I should ask MTD for part numbers?
Before you ever consider buying any parts for it like piston ring etc you should just wipe it down nicely and sell it on marketplace and take the first decent amount which I would say would be 25 to $50 from it and put that towards buying another used piece of equipment that's better or a new one.

It is complete waste of time to fix one of these when you have to take the entire thing apart and take the cylinder off and then replace the ring or whatever because you won't get that many hours from it before something else will fail again because they are low quality little turds.
So even if it's not a complete waste of time, it's not like you're going to get two or three years out of it and even that's being optimistic if you do fix it and get it running properly..
There are simply time bombs and you don't want to be the one having to deal with it or own it when it fails next time.

TobyU

Threads
So a replacement short block won't solve the problem then?
It will only temporarily fix the machine now. It will not solve the problem as you will never solve the problem with these cheap Troy-Bilt backpack blowers.

TobyU

Threads
OK here's what I did to make this Troy -Bilt run.
Changed out the oil to 10W40 that I had on hand and did the math of adding STP to it.
That's 3oz of oil to .6oz (one tbsp) of STP. Really wanted to use Lucas but at $17 a quart, nope.
The original main jet (Walbro #76) is .013 I had an extra carb so I drill that jet to .014.
Put in a new Champion plug #RDZ4H/979, had an original plug (Chinese?) #794-00082.
Let it warm up and it runs low and high like it should. No oil smoke and doesn't fowl the plug.
I hope this helps someone.
I will have to say for future reference, you should never drill the Jets in these at all.
That very common newer black plastic top Troy-Bilt 4 cycle carburetor with no mixture adjustments at all does not tolerate being drilled or even having a wire run through it..
You may get by if you carefully use a single strand or of copper wire to go through it but I have even had that make the jet too large and then it was over rich on the mixture like you mentioned it was the first time.
I have come to the conclusion that you should not touch the Jets in these carburetors other than blowing carb cleaner through them and compressed air.
Normally that's all you have to do anyways and it often isn't even the jet but just other gunk in the carburetor in the little check valve fuel pump action part of the metering block or the screen etc.
I use wires and clean out jets pretty much every day on larger engines let's say three and a half horsepower and up with no problems but the one that Troy-Bilt uses for these blowers and string trimmers etc is very delicate so I don't recommend touching it with any wire or metal at all.

TobyU

Threads
Glad you got it running satisfactory but enjoy it while it lasts or better yet sell it and make some good money.
You will not get years of good enjoyable trouble for use from this equipment or at least there is like an 85% chance against it rather than for it.
I have no desire to try to beat the odds with equipment like this so I would rather put my money into things that have a proven track record of dependability and longevity.

Richie F

Threads
Glad you got it running satisfactory but enjoy it while it lasts or better yet sell it and make some good money.
You will not get years of good enjoyable trouble for use from this equipment or at least there is like an 85% chance against it rather than for it.
I have no desire to try to beat the odds with equipment like this so I would rather put my money into things that have a proven track record of dependability and longevity.
Sir I'm a retired mechanic of 52 years and just changing parts is not my style if need be.
I drilled the main jet because you can't buy jets from Walbro (I asked them directly).
You can adjust low idle mixture with a micro D tool.
And yes, if I could/can buy rings, I would do so to fix a problem. Oh the trudgery of taking something apart to fix it.
Being that I bought this unit for $40 and fixed it with a quality sparkplug and my time is a small investment to ask $175 on market place.
If it doesn't sell at that price I'll drop it, as I'm still ahead of the game.

TobyU

Threads
Sir I'm a retired mechanic of 52 years and just changing parts is not my style if need be.
I drilled the main jet because you can't buy jets from Walbro (I asked them directly).
You can adjust low idle mixture with a micro D tool.
And yes, if I could/can buy rings, I would do so to fix a problem. Oh the trudgery of taking something apart to fix it.
Being that I bought this unit for $40 and fixed it with a quality sparkplug and my time is a small investment to ask $175 on market place.
If it doesn't sell at that price I'll drop it, as I'm still ahead of the game.
I just hope you sell it and move on because it's not worth the time to do the repeated repairs that will be needed on that machine at least not for the amount of hours of you she will get from it.
I too, cannot stand replacing parts and I was not aware because I didn't have a picture of the carburetor that it was a walbro so I did not know it had the adjustment screws. Those are far better carburetors than the newer plastic bodied ones that come on most of the newer 4-cycle Troy-Bilt products that have no fuel mixture adjustment screws at all and they don't really have a jet well I guess they kind of do but it's a little soft metal maybe brass looking but I doubt it's really brass cone like thing.
They are very soft and if you so much just touch them on the inside with anything you will make the hole too big so that's why I recommend people leave them alone.
All you really need to do is blow them out with the plastic straw on the carb cleaner can and compressed air.

So I agree with fixing things instead of just replacing parts and throwing parts at things but there are a lot of people out there who like to mess with things that don't need to be messed with.

I probably shouldn't tell you this but if you run into a situation on one of these cheap machines where you have the cylinder apart and wish to replace a ring... You can get them because there's a guy, at least there used to be on eBay that makes his own and sells them.
You can't get them from Troy-Bilt or MTD just like you can't get certain parts from walbro and it is a waste of time to ever call these companies.
I have this discussion often with people too or more or less my mostly irritated comments after they talk about calling companies and not getting anywhere because I could have told them that in the first place. Lol
So, it's not really that you can't get rings it's that it's just not worth the time to take one apart and put a new ring and something because even if you do get it running perfectly, it probably failed with under 10 or 11 hours of use on it in the first place so there's very little chance of it lasting long term even after you put the time into it to fix it.
It's one of those things like they say in life, pick your battles....

Well with some of this cheap equipment out there especially the handheld things, they aren't a battle worth picking or winning because there is no long-term win - but rather continuing to live with an annoying, problematic, troublesome, not durable, piece of equipment.
I simply call things like I see them and I've seen too many of these to think messing with them is anything more than beating a dead horse.
A better analogy would probably be propping it up on steroids but it's really never going to be a good racer again.

Glades Cat

Threads

Last edited: