Troy-Bilt 2006 Pony - Won't move at all (replacing small Drive Belt)

eomolina

Threads
  • / Troy-Bilt 2006 Pony - Won't move at all (replacing small Drive Belt)
Well, well, well... I guess I'm back! :p

Over a year ago I bought an used Troy-Bilt 2006 Pony (Model 13AN77TG766). You guys helped me fixed it after an impact (FORUM LINK). It worked great until last weekend, when it suddenly stopped moving forward. I found a belt broken, so I started doing my homework on how to change the broken belt.

Checking the manual (LINK to Diagrams and Parts) I found that I needed the "short" drive belt (Part: 954-0241A (replaces 754-0241A)). I took the battery, seat and Displaying Fender for easy access. I loosen the large pulley wheel (7.25 Dia, part 956-04002 (replaces 756-04002)) put the belt in (used a crowbar to pull the small wheel closer... tricky!) and once all seemed nice and tight, put the Pony back together. Not even one screw left! :p The Pony turns fine, and the blades rotate when the deck is engaged (I normally use "level" 3 or 4).

The problem is when I put the gear Forward (or Reverse), the mower does not move.

I inspected under (with mower off, of course!) and the gear seems to move correctly and seems to be engaged to the transmission. Belts look in place. The only thing I notice is a single loose wire. I'm not 100% sure, but I think is the ground wire. Its plastic looked cracked (not ripped) and part of the cable's insulation seems worm down. Should I replace this cable? I could take the Fender off (not today!) and follow the cable. I'm not sure where it goes or what is used for.

Anyhow... any suggestion on repairing the Pony so it moves forward once more? Thanks!

Borgie

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Troy-Bilt 2006 Pony - Won't move at all (replacing small Drive Belt)
The wire either goes to your reverse tab on the transmission, or to the seat switch.

When you put the new belt on, were you sure it went around the upper portion of the variable speed pulley (#63)?

Also, make sure the spring that tensions the idler pulley (#62) didn't come off.

One last question for you. Are you sure the new belt is the exact same length as the old belt?