Repairs Troy-Bilt 2006 Pony - Stalling after impact

eomolina

Threads
Thanks for the info Rivets! :thumbsup: Sorry that it took so long, but I only have time on the weekends to work on this. *sigh*

I checked the Carb, and it is a Nikki. I went to the site and DL the schematics. VERY useful indeed! I then went to YouTube and watch lots of videos on how to clean the carb. I also found a GREAT site with nice pics... Disassembly, Cleaning and Repair of Briggs and Stratton Intek Single Cylinder OHV Nikki Carb

I removed the gas, disconnected battery, unplugged the fuel line and removed the selenoid on the bottom. I took the nuts holding the air intake fine, but the head of the screws are not star or flat... they are a type of hex I have never seen. Instead of just a hex 'hole' it seems to be just the border. Looks like it needs some kind of 'hollow hex key'. What is the right tool to remove those two screws so I can take the carb out? Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It's called a Torx head. Yes there is a special Torx socket or driver need to remove.

eomolina

Threads
Thanks Rivets! I will look for the tool! You are a life saver. I will let you know about my misadventures! :D

triad_cowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same model mower.
The problem I have run into is very similar to yours. A good cleaning of the carb including removing will normally fix the problem. What I try to do now is to drain all the gas prior to winter storage.

eomolina

Threads
Time for update.

I took the Nikki carburetor out and cleaned it. It had some stuff inside, but not much. The needle seemed clean and loose. Upon assembly, it worked fine!!!

I mowed the lawn and all is good. :D

Then it happened again. Now it will not turn. So, I concluded that Rivet's initial suggestion had to be the problem; the flywheel's key. I don't have a pneumatic wrench nor a Puller to take it all out, so I will have to take it to a shop. With budget and time, I may learn how to pull that flywheel out and check the key position myself. But the jungle must be tamed... quick! :p

For those searching for more information on the Flywheel, key and keyslot, please check this website out: Sheared Flywheel Keys on Small Gas Engines, causes and repair

It explains clearly what they are and how to work on them. The site has also LOTS of other information and GREAT photos.

Special thanks to to my wife, who provided the link (above) and to Rivets, for assistance and patience. You make this community GREAT!

================
quality_mowers_normal.jpg
================​

What I try to do now is to drain all the gas prior to winter storage.

Be careful leaving the mower without gas for several months. The fuel line (hoses) will crack when dry. Instead, put some Ethanol-Free gas (1/4 gallon) for storage. Ethanol, when stored for long periods of time, will allow water condensation... which will create lots of troubles for you. This gas is the one recommended for boats. If you can't find Ethanol-Free gas (there is one station in my home town) then you can use one of the treatment additives that they sell at Lowes or Home Depot. I suggest you start a new thread and let the REAL experts in this forum to give you pointers... after all, I'm just a noob. :wink:

triad_cowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Fuel line is fairly cheap and easy to replace..... :)