Repairs Troy-Bilt 2006 Pony - Stalling after impact

eomolina

Threads
I bought an used 2006 Troy-Bilt Pony (Model: 13AN77TG766) a week ago. It just needed a new battery, so I jump-started and ran it home (1/4 mile). Next day I changed the battery, Air-Filter and put some good gas. My lawn could had made Rambo shiver in fear, so I mowed it (1 acre) on the highest setting (#5 . It ran like a champ for almost 2 hours with NO problems whatsoever! Love the little thing! :biggrin:

Yesterday, I wanted to mow again at a a lower setting (#3). I mowed most of the back lawn and when I moved to the front (1 hour) when I had a snafu. Accidentally I hit the water meter casing (hard plastic)! :eek: The mower stopped immediately. AGHHH!!! MY BABY!!! I put the Unit in neutral and pull up the blades (PTO) before manually pushing the mower to my driveway. Upon inspection I could see a small dent in one of the blades, but nothing major (at least to my untrained eye.) The belts looked fine and there were no obvious leaks. I tried to restart the mower, the engine would turn but it would not start.

I let the Unit cool off 30 mins then I tried again. The Unit started, but the power was VERY diminished. It seems like it was not getting any gas. I noticed puffs of black smoke coming out from the front (muffler). Even at high throttle (Rabbit) the RPMs seemed low. I rode the mower a little. Not good. I engaged the blades (over concrete) and they seem slow too (obviously). Sad, I cleaned the Unit (had lots of old grass and dirt from previous owner) and put the mower away.

Next day (today) I want to make a post about the issue, so I decided to go and restart the Unit, so I could describe the stalling sound. Guess what? The evil machine started with low RPMs and all of the sudden... BRRROOOM!!!! It was just fine!?! I finished mowing the lawn (GASP!) and cleaned the Unit. I even restarted the Unit several times... all seems well!

I'm not questioning the miracle (heheh) but I would like to know what you guys suspect happened and why it got 'fixed'? Anything I can do to make sure the Unit is in optimal performance? I paid $400 for it (including new battery, retails for $1,050 +tax) so we figured that we need mow the lawn at least 10 times to break even on the investment. I'm staring to like this riding lawnmower thing... I may even start watering the lawn so the grass grows faster!

Anyhow... any advice would be appreciated. THANKS!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like you had a flooding problem or you may have sheared the flywheel key. Flooding would explain the black smoke and low power. I would definitely check the flywheel key. It may have spun 360 degrees and be back close to original position. Weirder things happen.

eomolina

Threads
OK. Any instructions on how to check the flywheel? A picture would help. THANKS!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The only way to check the flywheel key is by pulling the flywheel.

eomolina

Threads
Any ideas? I have mowed the lawn 2 times without a problem. Today, it did it again when I was going to start it. I changed the spark plug and gas filter. It started right away, but it was studding... almost no power.

What can I do? Where I can find instructions to do it? HELP!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it is blowing black smoke I still say the the needle valve in the carb is sticking open. By replacing the needle you should be able to solve the problem. Post the engine model numbers and we will get you the part numbers you need.

eomolina

Threads
Thanks for the quick response! I have:

2006 Troy-Bilt Pony
Model: 13AN77TG766
Serial: 1A056B30226
DOM: 1/2006

Are these the numbers you need? Anything else I can get you? Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday, I need the numbers off the engine.

eomolina

Threads
From the engine, I could only get the following numbers:

17.5 HP I/C OHV
Briggs & Stratton Corp.
Family: 6BXS.5012VP 276470

It also has 2 bar codes:
31C7070603E1
051031ZD21058

Hope this is the info you need. THANKS!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have a Walbro carb, I would replace the needle with part number #231855. If you have a Nikki carb , I would replace the needle with part number #696136. Hope this solves the problem.
If you need any other parts or a parts breakdown, you can use this website.
Lawn Mower Parts | Small Engine Repair | Lawn Mower Repair