Troubleshooting Ignition - 1989 Toro 30112 Walk Behind

Raindog3030

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Troubleshooting Ignition - 1989 Toro 30112 Walk Behind
Hey folks! Hoping someone can help me get this ignition issue sorted...

So, I've got a 36" Toro walk behind with a Kawasaki fb460v on it that won't start.

Engine started and ran great until recently, one or 2 pulls each time...then a few weeks over the winter of no use and no start!

I replaced the coil, igniter, and spark plug (I'll note I did not have the manual recommended Champion RCJ-8, but instead a Champion RH18Y was existing).
With all of this done, the engine cranked to life and I was able to cut the lawn!

That was 2 weeks ago, now here we are again with no start. Now, I appear to have no spark.

I was able to locate the manual and wiring diagram, I've disconnected and metered my 2-position ignition switch and verified it is opening and closing the circuit correctly.

I'm looking for more information on troubleshooting the Interlock module to verify whether or not it is functioning properly.
The red and yellow wires from the interlock module read as shorted when disconnected from the ignition switch. Leads me to believe there may be an issue with the interlock module or somewhere further down the line...but the two brown wires appear to be shorted at the clutch switch? I admit I'm not 100% on how the interlock is supposed to work other than its purpose to prevent the engine from starting when the clutch is engaged.

Any help or information is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

1646081087600.png

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is this the service manual you are using or are you using the operators manual? To my understanding there is no service checks on the ignition module. Just replace, but I may be wrong. https://www.toro.com/getpub/6909

Raindog3030

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is this the service manual you are using or are you using the operators manual? To my understanding there is no service checks on the ignition module. Just replace, but I may be wrong. https://www.toro.com/getpub/6909
This is from the Operator manual, I imagine there has to be some way to meter the interlock module though? I assume it is doing the same thing as the ignition switch, but based on whether or not the short is in place at the clutch switch (for safety!). So, if I am correct, a continuity test should show an open circuit between red and yellow in normal operation and closed/shorted in "safety" mode. Right now, it appears red and yellow are shorted and grounding out my ignition system preventing a spark. I just want to be able to verify whether or not it's the issue before I spend that much on a part that may not need to be replaced.

Raindog3030

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did also read through the Service Manual for the engine. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to cover the Toro ignition system...only the Kawasaki's side of the system.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Maybe this manual will help you out. I’m at a loss at this time, as you know electrical troubleshooting without standing next to the unit is head scratching. Will try to help if you have more questions. https://www.toro.com/getpub/30747.

Raindog3030

Forum Newbie
Threads
Maybe this manual will help you out. I’m at a loss at this time, as you know electrical troubleshooting without standing next to the unit is head scratching. Will try to help if you have more questions. https://www.toro.com/getpub/30747.
Thanks for the help! I decided to restart my troubleshooting back at the basics yesterday. I started by re-gapping my spark plug, and sure enough she cranked right to life! So, just when you think you know is when you don't know nothin'!

Cheers!