Trouble with Summer Rye

Apogee

Forum Newbie
Threads
New guy here, but wanting some input or validation on my thinking with the scenario I find myself in. I own a Craftsman ZTL 7000 with a Briggs & Stratton V-Twin 24hp gross. Cutting heigh maximum is 3.25". In moving out to a new home on 5 acres, we needed to plant summer rye grass in order to establish a new lawn as it was too hot for normal grass seed at the time. We ultimately planted about 2 acres of that as a lawn until the fall when we put down normal full sun grass seed.

As that rye quickly established and grew, I started mowing it, only to find that this Craftsman zero turn would choke/chug unless I only took on about a half or sometimes quarter of the amount of grass. The mower's struggles resulted in decent size clumps of grass being formed from the thick rye blades. There were occasions where I would still have to go back and cover the same area twice in order to get it all cut. Ideally, we'd want to collect these clippings and use it for compost on our farm, but that's been a significant challenge with the "passive" bagger system where that rye just gets clogged in the tubes running back to the bags. I never mow when it's wet and we have zero trees anywhere that would cause any shading. We also have regular and steady winds out of seemingly any direction. Land is largely flat but does have some gentle slopes overall.

As I research other zero turns locally, it seems a 3.25" cutting height is pretty low overall. Seeing top end heights of 5" or 5.5" seems like it would be much better for my application. Am I thinking about this right? Would a higher deck height be a solution in having to mow this thick and dense grass? We do plan to keep about an acre of our lawn as rye for the future. I don't think the Craftsman mower is bad overall, it's been a great machine for our previous home and never given me major issues, I just need to be able to mow evenly and ideally collect those clippings every other time for compost use.

For what it's worth, we also have a Kubota B series tractor. I've been evaluating if a Kubota zero turn would be better for us with a welded deck and higher heights and alignment of any service work with the dealer we already work with for the tractor. I don't want to use a mid mount mower as I don't want to company the lawn too aggressively with the weight of a tractor. If anything, I'd use a flail mower on the lawn, but that feels like a worst case scenario.

Thanks for reading and any thoughts.