Trouble with Brand New S180 Riding Lawn Mower (Rough running engine)

bsmall

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Trouble with Brand New S180 Riding Lawn Mower (Rough running engine)
I just bought a brand new S180 riding lawn mower and within the first 1/2 hour of use the engine would start to cut out and run real rough. It was almost like the choke was being applied. It would take about 30 seconds of very rough running and then would smooth out and run normal for 2 minutes and then do it all over again. On numerous times the engine died. I would restart it and would run for a few minutes and start rough running all over again. When it would hardly move forward. I also noticed that when it was running rough you could smell a very rich exhaust again like the choke was on. So I was thinking it was something to do with the auto choke system on it but not sure. So if anyone could give me some advise on where to start looking I would really appreciate it so vey much. Thanks in advance.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
i'd take it back, could be a bad coil. plug, ignition system, something in the fuel like water, etc..

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before taking it back remove the fuel line from the carb and drain about a pint of fuel into a clear glass jar. Put the cover on and shake the jar vigorously. When you stop the fuel should be clear, any cloudiness means water in the fuel. Not covered by warranty!! Drain the system, check your gas can, put in good fresh fuel and try again. Once you have ruled out bad fuel, take it in under warranty.

bsmall

Forum Newbie
Threads
I do think you're on to something regarding a coil, plug ignition system. I started it today and it ran perfect for 35 minutes and then started surging and running very rough and died. Restarted it and parked it in the garage and finished the rest of my mowing with my ole 18-year-old Craftsman. So I think that rules out bad fuel. Lowes is going to exchange this one out for another one as soon as it comes in. So lets hope the second one work great.
Thank you both for your quick responses. I'll update this post when the replacement mower gets delivered and in use. :)