tried out the poly head today

173abn

Threads
I finally tried out the polyhead on my sthil weedeater today and was not impressed at all.the blades wore out before I was even half way through my weed wacking chores so it's back to the string.ohwell russ

grnspot110

Threads
If you're talking about the three blade head, they have their place. I use mine for tall grass at the farm, doesn't wind up on the trimmer as bad as the string does. Although wire fences & steel post eat them right up. I use two sizes of string on mine, green for lawn edging, orange for heavier grass & weeds. Also have the poly blades, metal brush blade & saw blades for trees up to 3" or so. Used this setup on a "straight-stick Stihl for 14 years, now, due to dealer availability, I've changed to Husqvarna with same type heads. ~~ grnspot110

Attachments

• IMG_7924[1].jpg
    IMG_7924[1].jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7926[1].jpg
    IMG_7926[1].jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7930[1].jpg
    IMG_7930[1].jpg
    128 KB · Views: 13

173abn

Threads
grnspot, yes I'm talking about those 3 plastic blades on a head.I used the bumphead today with the orange string and was wacking down 6' cornweed.It did a resonable job but the last time I was at my sthil dealer they had some red string which is a heavier gage so tomorrow I'm going to town to pick some up. I got a lot of rocks and fence line so the polyhead is retired. russ

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
russ ... trying to get something that will be durable and yet cut well... Is a difficult trade off, as you increase the diameter, (heavier gage) it is not as sharp a cutting edge... but as the diameter gets smaller the breaking strength decreases...
You can't make trim line out of really hard material because it has to be light enough to shed velocity when it breaks off and goes flying. So its always going to be a bit of a compromise for general purpose trimmer line... tho a big improvement from the original fishing line used at the beginning,:tongue:. :smile:KennyV

173abn

Threads
Kenny, bought the red line which is the heaveist gauge they got.I think with my sthil fs90 that it will have the power to handle it ,if not I'll go down a notch to the orange. russ

Robin

Threads
Where, then, should we use the poly heads? Which type of landscape will these blades best used?

I'm thinking whether I get a mower or trimmer because my lawn is not that big. If I get a trimmer then this discussion would save me bucks from not buying these blades.

173abn

Threads
Robin,I found out real quick they don't work good around rock foundations,around fence or concrete.I think they have their place cutting tall grass or weeds.with a small lawn I think the string would work best for you. russ

charlesmc2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I like the poly blades for later in the season when weeds tend to be more woody. I still use the string most of the time. String is more versatile. Sort of a spectrum: string for grass and soft weeds--poly for tougher weeds & even very small sprouts--metal blades for brush. Can't say I am consistent and I'm usually lazy about changeovers.

Charles in Texas