Trash Rescue Mower

l008com

Threads
I pulled this mower out of the trash last summer. Physically it looked like it's in decent shape. And it has a bag.

I tried to start it for the first time today. I'm not actually repairing it yet, I'll do that this summer. But I had it out so I figured let me give a few spins and see what happens.

Well, nothing happened. Which is not surprising. It has gas in it and I didn't put it there.
I also checked the oil level and it looked like about half the dip stick has super fresh oil on it.

It seems like a fuel issue but who knows, so I grabbed some starter fluid and it started right up off that. Which is great. So I kept it running for a minute with tiny sprays of starter fluid, just to see if I could get it to start burning its own mystery fuel. Well after about a minute, oil started FLOWING out of the hold under the air intake.

At this point I stopped and packed it away for repair later this season. I'm pretty happy it ran at all. It SEEMS to me that if I just drain all the fluids, and give it a fresh and proper amount of oil, and some new gas, it will probably fire RIGHT up.

Do you concur?

So the next question is, did the previous owner just over fill this thing like crazy? Like just dump the whole quart into it or something?
OR did the machine have the proper amount of oil, and gas leaked out of the tank, through the carb, through the piston and into the oil pan?

The oil looked like it was normal consistency to me, but I didn't really think about gas mixing in until I was done, so I wasn't paying THAT much attention to it.

The oil did like completely unused, which seems to me to make it a little more likely that it was overfilled, but who knows.

So again, I'm not actually repairing this machine for a while. I just couldn't help poking around with it today. Just kind of brainstorming at this point.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I pulled this mower out of the trash last summer. Physically it looked like it's in decent shape. And it has a bag.

I tried to start it for the first time today. I'm not actually repairing it yet, I'll do that this summer. But I had it out so I figured let me give a few spins and see what happens.

Well, nothing happened. Which is not surprising. It has gas in it and I didn't put it there.
I also checked the oil level and it looked like about half the dip stick has super fresh oil on it.

It seems like a fuel issue but who knows, so I grabbed some starter fluid and it started right up off that. Which is great. So I kept it running for a minute with tiny sprays of starter fluid, just to see if I could get it to start burning its own mystery fuel. Well after about a minute, oil started FLOWING out of the hold under the air intake.

At this point I stopped and packed it away for repair later this season. I'm pretty happy it ran at all. It SEEMS to me that if I just drain all the fluids, and give it a fresh and proper amount of oil, and some new gas, it will probably fire RIGHT up.

Do you concur?

So the next question is, did the previous owner just over fill this thing like crazy? Like just dump the whole quart into it or something?
OR did the machine have the proper amount of oil, and gas leaked out of the tank, through the carb, through the piston and into the oil pan?

The oil looked like it was normal consistency to me, but I didn't really think about gas mixing in until I was done, so I wasn't paying THAT much attention to it.

The oil did like completely unused, which seems to me to make it a little more likely that it was overfilled, but who knows.

So again, I'm not actually repairing this machine for a while. I just couldn't help poking around with it today. Just kind of brainstorming at this point.
Check oil level. Carburetor will most likely need to be cleaned for it to start and run. See the hundreds of YouTube videos and threads on forums for details on carburetor cleaning.