Trading equipment.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those of you that run zero turns and other larger mowers, how often do you trade or replace your mowers?

I know farmers and loggers that trade equipment every time they get close to warranty going out and I know others that run them till there is nothing left to run. Both seem to have reasons for doing it like they do.

If you trade at regular intervals, what are those intervals?

Nwatson99

Threads
Those of you that run zero turns and other larger mowers, how often do you trade or replace your mowers?

I know farmers and loggers that trade equipment every time they get close to warranty going out and I know others that run them till there is nothing left to run. Both seem to have reasons for doing it like they do.

If you trade at regular intervals, what are those intervals?

I will be trading every 4 years which will be the end of my warranty.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
When your warranty goes away and you have to pay for repairs does the cost of repairs greater than a cost of new machine? I would run it till nothing left.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
When your warranty goes away and you have to pay for repairs does the cost of repairs greater than a cost of new machine? I would run it till nothing left.

Working on hydra stats could get real expensive real quick.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I will be trading every 4 years which will be the end of my warranty.

WOW...when I bought my ZTR I never gave any thought to trading every few years like some people do on automobiles!! Of course that's coming from a guy who is still driving a 1995 Chevy Silverado Z71 with 140K miles that I bought new. I too have an inclination to use something until it is having major problems. Then again, I looked at a new Heavy Duty truck in 2006 when I bought my travel trailer and the sticker shock(I paid right at $20k for my 1995 off the showroom floor) convinced me to just keep the truck I own. I've had the A/C system completely replaced(around $1k) and the upper & lower ball joints replaced on both sides(another $1k repair)....but....I figure with what a new truck costs(and how long it's been since I had a truck payment) and I figure I could replace both the engine and transmission(if needed) and still come out ahead compared to buying that 2006 3500HD. I purchased my Gravely as a "retirement investment" and that's why I bought a fully commercial ZTR for a 1.5 acre lawn. I simply cannot afford another ZTR in 4 years on my post-retirement income and I'm pretty convinced that the Gravely will outlast me(and my son:0) with my 7-yr-old grandson mowing his yard with it!!!! Now the professionals on this particular forum are a completely different story and the abuse they put their equipment through warrants trading them in every few years.

D

DSepe

Those of you that run zero turns and other larger mowers, how often do you trade or replace your mowers? I know farmers and loggers that trade equipment every time they get close to warranty going out and I know others that run them till there is nothing left to run. Both seem to have reasons for doing it like they do. If you trade at regular intervals, what are those intervals?
As a residential owner I use them until they die. My Deutz-Allis lasted 26 years. My 98 Lawn-Boy is still going. Also my 93 Troy-Bilt snow blower is also still kicking. Stihl trimmer and chainsaw are both 8 or so years old and they still start up 1-2 pulls. I'm the same as Djdicetn with vehicles I drive a 95 Suburban that cost 28k new back in the day. Those are up to 48k pre-tax these days.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
What kind of equipment are you getting a 4 year commercial warranty on?

I thought user Nwatson99 had a John Deere Z960R, but that comes with a 3 Year/1,500 Hour Commercial Warranty(unless he purchased extended coverage).

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
As a residential owner I use them until they die. My Deutz-Allis lasted 26 years. My 98 Lawn-Boy is still going. Also my 93 Troy-Bilt snow blower is also still kicking. Stihl trimmer and chainsaw are both 8 or so years old and they still start up 1-2 pulls. I'm the same as Djdicetn with vehicles I drive a 95 Suburban that cost 28k new back in the day. Those are up to 48k pre-tax these days.
That all sounds great as a residential owner. Some times we cut 40 acres in two days. Reckon how many years it takes most residential owners to cut that much. We cut 7 yards a few days ago and one of them was 7 acres......... At 2 years old my 326 Kubota will have over 1500 'hours on it...... Many times we cut as much grass in less than a week than many home owners cut in a year...... Much of what ours cut is cut every two weeks and more times than not it is under brutal conditions.... As far as hand held equipment I agree run them till they drop. Throw them away and get another one....... Most days we run a weedeater for hours as well. Some days we run hedge trimmers most of the day. There is a big difference in a commercial operator and a home owner. Right now I consider our business to be small time compared to some who come here as well. On other words many cut more than we do..

Last edited:

Nwatson99

Threads
I thought user Nwatson99 had a John Deere Z960R, but that comes with a 3 Year/1,500 Hour Commercial Warranty(unless he purchased extended coverage).

:thumbsup: bingo extended warranty on JD is great and not that expensive as you would imagine.
Right after my older machine went out of warranty bam $300.00 bucks which would have paid for extended warranty if my old dealer would have offered it to me.
I was wild and extremely mad especially with the hours on it, the condition it was in and how well I had serviced it, but after getting it fixed and thinking about it a little more I figured you know it could have happened anytime, but a break down right after the warranty goes out it kinda makes a deeper wound. LOL

Now I will trade after the warranty is out if they have upgraded the machine with items I like that has made it better or a much better ride on it, yes I will do that since that is a benefit for me and my condition.

But like jekjr said, the replacement of the tranny is a big piece of the trade in cash price in difference.