Tractor purchase

Carol sue

Forum Newbie
Threads
Recently purchased a john Deere lawn tractor E100 series. The manufacture date on the motor is April 2018 and the battery is labeled 2017. Is this “normal” for a tractor that is sold by dealer as new?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes,
Dealer can get them in batches to cut transport costs and your just sat out back for a bit longer than normal
People buy 90% of the new mowers over a 3 month period but the factory runs all year so those made from fall through to spring will sit somewhere till sales pick up in spring.
Same story with the battery.
I buy 5 batteries every spring , Some years I end up buying more before the season ends other years I have some left over
All that is important is the warranty goes from the date on your sales receipt and that you keep a copy of it ( staple it inside your owners manual ) and take a photo of it as well .

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
I looked at the date of manufacture on my Toro, after they opened the box it came in, & prior to final purchase.

Some dealers let left over old stock sit outside, that can make a visual difference imo. If I pay new price, I want new product.

Just sayin....

cruzenmike

Threads
A dealer in my town still has "new" vehicles as old as 2015 still on their lot. Don't ask me why, but so long as a paying customer does not take delivery of the vehicle and it does not exceed a certain number of miles it is still considered new.
Despite how old your mower was, it was never sold to a customer and "used" therefore the sale was legitimate. It happens all the time. Most people don't even notice and those who do catch it in time can simply ask for a newer build. With regards to warranty, it starts on the day of delivery so you are afforded the same level of protection against defects as if the machine were a 2019 or 2010 build.

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Dealer never seems to have any leftovers. In August he has an end of year sale. (That's when I got my Z, back in 2014) & they go fast. Making room for the new models.