Tractor owner new to forum

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you like the BP you'll love this picture its a 1942 Southbend model 10L with a taper attachment. The Mill is old too the DRO only works on X and that has a power feed. It's just a hobby. I like to make things now since I'm retired. I restored the lathe last fall.

THAT IS HOW OLD THAT THING IS?!?!?!?!? There is one sitting, rusting, in storage.....I'm gonna talk to my boss.....It's Identical to your South Bend, but the main motor bay looks different....it's more angled...there is a spring-collet adapter on ours..we have the ratchet turret, too...hmmm........gotta talk to the boss......:laughing:

Wait! I looked again, and you have the three-jaw installed......no ratchet turret.......okay...now I REALLY gotta talk to the boss about buying that old South Bend.....:laughing:

YOU DO WHAT I DO!!!!!! I always turn the handle around on the table adjustment, and I put rags over the bed, so crap won't get into the channels of the bed.......

I like you already....:biggrin:

fastback

Threads
The only other equipment is a 6 x 18 surface grinder, a 6 inch Atlas and a 9 inch Southbend. Of course I have a drill press 12 ton press etc etc...All this stuff comes in handy when working on the tractors.

mystreba

Threads
worthy.gif

fastback

Threads
A little more information about my tractors. The 1996 is a model 917.251481, the 1989 is a gt 18 hp twin model 917.255917 and the 1977 is a model 917.25882. I still haven't taken any new pictures but that will forth coming. BTW, I was able to make the disc brake rotor the the 1996 unit. I have yet to complete putting everything back together maybe tomorrow. I need to get things done so I can pick up the leaves from the winter winds. Also some day this week I'll be looking at another tractor. This one is a 1964 wheel horse has a plow and a mower that all I know right now.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
A little more information about my tractors. The 1996 is a model 917.251481, the 1989 is a gt 18 hp twin model 917.255917 and the 1977 is a model 917.25882. I still haven't taken any new pictures but that will forth coming. BTW, I was able to make the disc brake rotor the the 1996 unit. I have yet to complete putting everything back together maybe tomorrow. I need to get things done so I can pick up the leaves from the winter winds. Also some day this week I'll be looking at another tractor. This one is a 1964 wheel horse has a plow and a mower that all I know right now.

Perhaps my sarcasm was a bit too thick. You said '78 SS/16. What does the SS mean?

Does it mean a Sears Suburban 16?

fastback

Threads
Good question. I think that you are probably right. I can only tell you that that is how it is in the side of the tractor as well as the owners manual. I really never thought much about it. The tractor was given to me by a cousin. He wants to see me rebuild it. Sometime/day I'll get to it.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good question. I think that you are probably right. I can only tell you that that is how it is in the side of the tractor as well as the owners manual. I really never thought much about it. The tractor was given to me by a cousin. He wants to see me rebuild it. Sometime/day I'll get to it.

Then it is a Sears Suburban. I made fun of my buddy because his mower said "SS" on it.....it's a Suburban.

His had a 16 HP Onan on it...horizontally opposed twin....just like the JD 318 has in it......(only it's 18 horse).

fastback

Threads
I finished the brake job on the "96" and took it for a ride this thing will stop on a dime. In fact, I think it reacts a little too quick. Maybe once it wears in (in a couple of years) it will be a little better.

Oh, FYI I took some readings in the frames for thickness and the "89" and "96" are very close to the same they are around 11 gage (.132 and .119) the "77" , .203 thats 6 gage. Now that is heavy duty. The "77" has the 16 HP Onan. The engine ran when it was parked around 5 years ago but I believe it needs a fuel pump.

fastback

Threads
Twall, I was looking at the picture of your sears tractor. Is that an original color that Sears would have used (red)? My "89" is that silver gray. I never really liked that color that much it really didn't do anything for the tractor. A two tone color like yours would probable be a better choice. Infact, they even colored the rims the same color gray. I prefer the white or cream like what is on my "96".

Do you guys out there have any thoughts on colors for Sears tractors? I have two that I plan on restoring sometime in the future. I guess if you change things such as color you are not restoring just rebuilding. Oh well...