Torque Extreme vs OEM clutch assy for 928d2

Chinckley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mower is 928D2, 2005 vintage. I need to do a clutch replacement. I see Torque Extreme clutches advertised with upgraded bearings as compared to OEM, as well as billet pullies. It's about 100.00 less than OEM. Any experience or input on using the non-oem?

Best regards,
Chris

KrashnKraka

Threads
Mower is 928D2, 2005 vintage. I need to do a clutch replacement. I see Torque Extreme clutches advertised with upgraded bearings as compared to OEM, as well as billet pullies. It's about 100.00 less than OEM. Any experience or input on using the non-oem?

Best regards,
Chris

/subbed

173abn

Threads
can't answer that for you but did replace my clutch about a month ago.Replaced w/GH clutch,cost $300.00...russ

KrashnKraka

Threads
can't answer that for you but did replace my clutch about a month ago.Replaced w/GH clutch,cost $300.00...russ

Crikey...!... $300USD !?
Coil burnt?
Or bearings, spring plate U/S?

173abn

Threads
old one fell apart when I took it off.non repairable,believe me I tried to fix it when I heard the price of a new one but had to bite the bullet and get it.hopefully won't need another for a very long time....russ

KrashnKraka

Threads
old one fell apart when I took it off.non repairable,believe me I tried to fix it when I heard the price of a new one but had to bite the bullet and get it.hopefully won't need another for a very long time....russ

Yeup...rebuilt a few in my time.
The worst is that dodgy spring design, that breaks it's a "in bin" loss.

Chinckley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeup...rebuilt a few in my time.
The worst is that dodgy spring design, that breaks it's a "in bin" loss.

Thanks. I like the idea of the Torque Extreme using a higher temp rated bearing, billet versus steel pullies, and 100.00 less. But always seems to be, unless a known and reputable product, non-oem often have fitment issues. I'll be pulling my clutch off this weekend. Right now it fails when hot so maybe can get a little mowing in before I take it down. I would ideally like to have the replacement on hand, but if rebuildable I may opt that for that route. Will know once in hand.

173abn

Threads
GH has a web site to leave an e-mail.you might ask them if it can be rebuilt .I had trouble getting the clutch stub shaft off and they called me that day to help me.you have to take that shaft off w/the clutch to get the clutch off. I called the original owner I bought the mower from and he said it was the original clutch,2,000 hrs on the mower.The new clutch should last me for a very long time.It started blowing the c/fuse when it failed and like I said fell apart when I took it off for inspection....russ

Chinckley

Forum Newbie
Threads
I actually had a good experience with Grasshopper. My mower came with the farm we bought, couldn't find the manual. GH sent me instructions for clutch removal (seem straight forward), operators manual for tractor and deck. I think I'm going with an OEM clutch. Sometimes what may seem like a savings costs in the end. I see the clutch for $290.00. I had my wife pull the PTO on while I watch and saw a few minor sparks throw from the clutch. thanks.

173abn

Threads
sounds like you are on your way to a fix....russ