Toro zero turn rear hub/lug repair question

Pyme

Forum Newbie
Threads
I needed to remove a rear tire on my Toro Commercial Z-Master and ended up spinning a stud in the hub when a lug nut seized up at the end of the lug. I ground the nut off and the lug fell right out of the back of the hub. My question is.... can I epoxy a new lug into the stripped hole in the hub, or do I need to pull and replace the hub? I'm hoping I can take the easy route, because pulling those hubs is notoriously a tough job, and a new hub is about $150. But I'm not going to do it if it's going to cause an issue or end up damaging the wheel in the long run. Any help or input is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230430_182704.jpg
    20230430_182704.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 5

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Oversized studs should be available from a good car parts company
and yes they go in from the inside so the hub has to come off
I do not understand your comment about being hard to remove I have never had a problem with them here

Pyme

Forum Newbie
Threads
Oversized studs should be available from a good car parts company
and yes they go in from the inside so the hub has to come off
I do not understand your comment about being hard to remove I have never had a problem with them here
I can easily access the rear of the hub, so if I can just replace the stud, I can do it without removing the hub. The one in my hand is the damaged one. As soon as I ground the nut enough to spread it off off the threads with a cold chisel, it fell right out of the back onto my shop floor.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes but the new one will be larger than the hole so has to be pressed home with substantial force
You are not going to do that with the hub on the shaft

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
just take the old one to a NAPA or place like that and see if they have one that is oversize. They are made in oversizes for that reason. Also the spline flatten a bit when they are pressed in so a new one may still fit. Measure the drum hole with a pair of calipers so you know what you are dealing with. Personally I would not want to use a stud that was not pressed in on a press or on a thick pipe or something using a sledge.

Pyme

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes but the new one will be larger than the hole so has to be pressed home with substantial force
You are not going to do that with the hub on the shaft

Aaahhh, now I get what you're saying.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep.
Bearing puller / gear puller behind the hub so it is pulling on the boss section
Use a rattle gun to tighten the puller with
Some heat ( understatement ) and penetrant will also help

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
penetrant = PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench etc., overnight. I had a CJ7 hub that used to come off like it was a 12 gauge being fired every time. BaaaaBooooom.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most of these studs can simply be installed using the current nut and a spacer nut and an impact. OR at least that how I have installed them over the years. No need to remove the hub. Depending on the over size stud shoulder you might need enlarge the hole slightly but only slightly as you want a good tight fit.

Most studs are knurled so this knurling gets mushed as you install the studs.