Toro Z Master diesel 52" mower with a sudden problem.

GregGebhardt

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro Z Master diesel 52" mower with a sudden problem.
Have used this Toro Z Master diesel mower for years now and never had any problems. Yesterday while mowing the mower shut down without any warning. Disengaged the blades, put on the brake and started the engine and it started perfectly. The problem is that the second I remove the brake it shuts down again.

I can hold the button to the brake switch to fool the safety system but the second I move the drive bars inward it shuts down again. Something in the safety stop system is triggering that will not allow the motor to run unless brake in engaged and drive arms are pushed outin the parking position.

Any ideas here. I thought is might be a bad seat switch but have tried with both leads removed from the seat safety switch and with both leads connected together with a small piece of wire. Still did the same.

What am I missing, the mower only has 74 hours on it. Please help me as I am going to have to get the dealer to come pick it up on Monday unless they can send someone to diagnose at my house.

HELP ME IF YOU CAN!! Thanks.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
As I recall when I worked on diesels they had a shut down solenoid. You have to be losing electric to this solenoid.

GregGebhardt

Forum Newbie
Threads
As I recall when I worked on diesels they had a shut down solenoid. You have to be losing electric to this solenoid.

The motor runs fine until you either take the brake off or move the handlebars out of the park position. There is some safety interlock that is killing the engine and stopping the mower from running.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Very first thing you will need if you plan to repair this yourself is a wiring diagram. Yes I do agree with you on the interlock switch but you will need something like a wiring diagram to find it unless you can make a lucky guess.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On the Z master diesel just about all of the safety switches activate or deactivate a relay.
You will find a nice neat little row of them bolted to the side of the mower and at 70 hours the nice little lables should still be there.
If the mower cranks but won't fire then it will be the fuel shut off circuit
If it won't crank then it will be start circuit.
Toro USa are very generious with their information so go to the Toro web side, type in your model number & download the manuals ( if you don't have them already )
in the back of the owners manual there is a generic wiring diagram.

TallGrassShort

Forum Newbie
Threads
It sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere in the harness leading to the seat switch.

The engine won't run with the brake off, and no one in the seat. But it also won't run with the brake on and either stick out of neutral. That's why it kills when you try to bring a stick in with the brake switch active.

The seat switch itself may not be bad, but a connection somewhere between the hourmeter and where all those interlocks tie together may be bad. Trace the wires coming off the seat switch and check for faulty connections and/or continuity between each run.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The seat switch itself may not be bad, but a connection somewhere between the hourmeter and where all those interlocks tie together may be bad. Trace the wires coming off the seat switch and check for faulty connections and/or continuity between each run.

Yes right here is the exact reason for a wiring diagram. Just how do you trace anything if you don't know where the wires go. You are going to find most of the wires will be in a harness. Different brands, years, and models can wire things different.