Toro Wheelhorse

DPG

Threads
Well started the rider a couple weeks ago, all went fine. When I engaged the "clutch" for the blades the motor started coughing out piles of white smoke, ran roughly for about 20 seconds then shut down. I was able to start it again but same thing when engaging the blades. I do not think (???) I seized the motor because it did turn over again before the issues started. Any ideas? I'm thinking like maybe I smoked the whole clutch mechanism that runs the blades or something? I think it's going in today for checking. It was blowing massive amounts of thick white smoke is that typically a tell-tale sign of something?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just what model Wheelhorse are you talking about ?

DPG

Threads
Hmmm I'm not positive of the exact model number but it's the "XL" series mower maybe 16 (?) H.P. (?) It's maybe 15-17 yrs old and was given to me. The motor has run good and strong up till this incident, hoping I didn't seize it. May be getting it into the shop today I'm thinking in my own mind I'll probably put a cap on it of about $400.00 for a spending limit. If it's anything "major" like a new motor or something I'll probably pass on fixing it sure that would be cost prohibitive by the time all is said and done I could spend a little more and go new.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds very much like a blown head gasket.
Check the oil level and the feel & smell.

Has it had difficulty starting reciently and in particular slow or labouring when cranking ?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hmmm I'm not positive of the exact model number but it's the "XL" series mower maybe 16 (?) H.P. (?) It's maybe 15-17 yrs old and was given to me. The motor has run good and strong up till this incident, hoping I didn't seize it. May be getting it into the shop today I'm thinking in my own mind I'll probably put a cap on it of about $400.00 for a spending limit. If it's anything "major" like a new motor or something I'll probably pass on fixing it sure that would be cost prohibitive by the time all is said and done I could spend a little more and go new.

They didn't make the XL series till 2005 - 2010 so its newer then you thought. They used a OHV Briggs engine and it could well be a blown head gasket as bertsmoble said.

DPG

Threads
OK thanks what kind of repair is that if it's the head gasket? Nothing I'd be attempting myself approx. what would a Toro dealer get, a couple hundred dollars, "many Hundreds?"

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
OK thanks what kind of repair is that if it's the head gasket? Nothing I'd be attempting myself approx. what would a Toro dealer get, a couple hundred dollars, "many Hundreds?"

IF IT IS] a head gasket and that is all it needs I would say a couple hundred. You are looking for answers on a forum so all you are getting are big guesses as to the problem. bertsmobile lives a half a world away and I live about 6 hours away so we have no idea what your problem is. I would say take a compression test would give you better answers on it being a head gasket or not.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
replacing a head gasket is one of the easiest repairs you can go.
Fairly strait foreward my repair schedule book lists it as 2 chargable hours + parts which $ 20 for the head gasket $11 for the rocker cover gasket and $ 15 for oil.
The cheap and not always accurate test is to run the engine for a few minutes then remover the dip stick.
Lots of smoke = blown gasket.
In a really bad case even cranking the engine will give you smoke from the dip stick tube

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
replacing a head gasket is one of the easiest repairs you can go.
Fairly strait foreward my repair schedule book lists it as 2 chargable hours + parts which $ 20 for the head gasket $11 for the rocker cover gasket and $ 15 for oil.
The cheap and not always accurate test is to run the engine for a few minutes then remover the dip stick.
Lots of smoke = blown gasket.
In a really bad case even cranking the engine will give you smoke from the dip stick tube

Go for it, I haven't got one penny invested. If it come to my shop or any shop around here you would be looking at better then 200 dollars. You most work cheap over there. I know I don't walk out of a grocery store with a small bag of food for less then 50 dollars and I have to change a head gasket for that amount of money. That will be the time I give up doing this type of work. NO thank-you. I get more money then that for just a spring tune up.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't forget the big box charge $ 120 /hr the mower shop up the road charges $ 90 / hr and the mobiles ( like me ) charge out at $ 60 / hr.
2 chargeable hours comes from a Husqvarna warranty scheduled service fees book I was given a while back.