Toro WheelHorse

DPG

Threads
Hi all got a question concerning my Toro Rider it's maybe 15-17 yrs old I'd guess. When engaging the blades the other day it began to blow white smoke terrible and want to shut down. I was able to get it running again and seems to be effected when (again) trying to engage the blades. It again blew piles of thick white smoke. I do not believe (?) I "blew" the engine I'm thinking maybe more like a clutch assy or something having to do with engaging the blades. Now it simply won't start, turn key and nothing I was having issues turning it over to start from a cold state and I think that was an old and under powered battery. Has anyone ever seen or heard of why it would blow huge amounts of white smoke like this? Is that typically a trashed engine or can it be something else?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is typically a blown head gasket or worn out piston rings

DPG

Threads
OK thanks will get it looked at maybe within the next month. If it's much $ to fix I may not bother at this point.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Head gasket is about $ 30 all up because you will need to replace the rocker cover gasket as well.
Rings are cheap too but if the bore is gone it becomes an uneconomic repair as you will need a rebuild gasket kit over sized piston rod & rings to do the job properly.
If the engine is a Kohler you can do it in mower but anything else has to come out so it starts to become a major job very quickly.

You can pick up brand new USA made superceeded engines from around $ 400 but you will need to balance that against the wear in the rest of the mower.
Wheel Horses were one of the better made tractors, but they still wear out.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
What model Wheel horse do you have and what dose it have for a engine? Some of the Wheelhorse models have a mechanical oil pump in which gas leaks into the oil.

DPG

Threads
Hmmm really don't know what model off hand was given to me by a family member. I want to say maybe 12 or 14 H.P.(?) does that sound right? Will need to check. It has always been cared for decently and the oil's always been changed. At first I didn't think it was engine failure but the large amounts of white smoke typically would indicate such.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Maybe a 312-H or a 312-8? That tractor came with a Kohler Magnum which dose have a mechanical fuel pump. Hard to answer questions about a engine problem without knowing what you have. bertsmobile 1 talks about a head gasket and valve cover gasket which wouldn't make a lick of sense on a Kohler Magnum engine seeing it a L head design engine??? If you plan to repair this engine yourself you will need this information just to buy parts much less information on a forum how to fix it.