Toro Timemaster 30" grinding (or squealing!?) noise coming from transmission

nicolamor

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro Timemaster 30" grinding (or squealing!?) noise coming from transmission
I have a problem with my Toro Timesater 30? After 30-40 minutes of use, I start hearing a grinding (or maybe a squealing!?) noise coming from transmission. It sounds just alike this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMx-06vkYCI
I tightened the propel cable (as suggested in the video) but the noise is still there. As I said, it starts only after a prolonged use of the mower, not before, and if I lift the wheels from the ground, it stops.
I checked wheels, axes, springs: no plays. The cable and the transmission belt are well tightened, the lever is ok, the pace is fast. Everything looks perfect.
The Toro dealer is in trouble to solve the problem because it痴 not evident, and obviously I can稚 charge him for standing around waiting for something to happen. He suggested (as Rivets did) to keep on using the mower until the noise gets worse and acts up faster, and that痴 what I知 going to do. But, in the meantime, is there anyone having the same problem?

p.s.: I beg your pardon for my English.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Toro Timemaster 30" grinding (or squealing!?) noise coming from transmission
Toro | 30" (76 cm) TimeMaster® (20199)

I did not find anything concerning transmission in operators manual, you may want to disassemble transmission after removal & inspect parts for wear. You may be able to order worn out parts from parts catalog. Let us know how it goes, thanks.

You can email Toro tech. support with year, model & serial numbers as well as all numbers from engine & transmission, asking them to send technical information concerning your transmission.

nicolamor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your answer, but in the Toro website I cant' find the e-mail address.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a problem with my Toro Timesater 30? After 30-40 minutes of use, I start hearing a grinding (or maybe a squealing!?) noise coming from transmission. It sounds just alike this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMx-06vkYCI
I tightened the propel cable (as suggested in the video) but the noise is still there. As I said, it starts only after a prolonged use of the mower, not before, and if I lift the wheels from the ground, it stops.
I checked wheels, axes, springs: no plays. The cable and the transmission belt are well tightened, the lever is ok, the pace is fast. Everything looks perfect.
The Toro dealer is in trouble to solve the problem because it痴 not evident, and obviously I can稚 charge him for standing around waiting for something to happen. He suggested (as Rivets did) to keep on using the mower until the noise gets worse and acts up faster, and that痴 what I知 going to do. But, in the meantime, is there anyone having the same problem?

p.s.: I beg your pardon for my English.

Have a couple of questions. How old is the mower? Does the mower make this grinding noise when your mowing or does it sound alright without the blades engaged?

nicolamor

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's a new one (40-50 hours of work) and the grinding noise sounds with and without the blades engaged. So the blades have nothing to do with it.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's a new one (40-50 hours of work) and the grinding noise sounds with and without the blades engaged. So the blades have nothing to do with it.

Well you can do what you want but if I were you and I have 40 to 50 hours on the machine the first thing I would do is take the mower in to the dealer and replace all the belts and cables regardless of what they look like and in the process they would check the spindle bearings. I run the commercial version of that machine and don't have 50 hours of time on mine and am on my third set of belts.

nicolamor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Actually I took the mower to the dealer. He checked axle, cables, belts etc. He also tested the machine, but obviously only a few minutes. For him, everithing is ok. As I said, the noise starts after a prolonged use and when the machine cools down, it stops. That's the problem.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Actually I took the mower to the dealer. He checked axle, cables, belts etc. He also tested the machine, but obviously only a few minutes. For him, everything is ok. As I said, the noise starts after a prolonged use and when the machine cools down, it stops. That's the problem.

Well I can only tell my experience with the Turf-Master. What was causing the noise in mine was not what I thought. I personally wouldn't run the machine without finding the problem because noise's have a funny way of leading to major problems. You say it's a new unit, if it is a 2013 there was a recall on those units in December 2013

nicolamor

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Timemaster, unfortunately, was produced in 2014. And that's true what you said: noises have a funny way of leading to major problems. But I can't force the dealer to use the machine for 30-40 minutes waiting for the noise.
May I ask you what was the problem of your Turfmaster?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
My Timemaster, unfortunately, was produced in 2014. And that's true what you said: noises have a funny way of leading to major problems. But I can't force the dealer to use the machine for 30-40 minutes waiting for the noise.
May I ask you what was the problem of your Turfmaster?

The problem with the Turf-Master started the same way as yours, had that grinding type of noise but it developed into a vibration and I busted a blade in half. I replaced the blades and considered it a kinda freak thing but soon after I was mowing the vibration was back and this time it destroyed the set of blades so it went to the shop and they discovered one the Spindles went bad and caused the problem. Fortunately for me when the dealer called Toro the Rep told him that the mower was being recalled for that problem and they repaired it under warranty. They installed both spindles and all new belts and cables with no cost to me.