Toro Timecutter (75742) G6 Gator Blade question

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are Toro part numbers on those Oregon blades. Your Toro part number isn’t there. They may work out for you anyway. If the blades are slightly tucked inside of the deck, that’s a good thing. Toro blades will sit somewhere between 1/4” to 3/8” above the bottom deck lip. They may also be 1/16” shorter than your Toro blades. If that’s the case, you may notice an uncut strip of grass in the middle of the rows that you’re mowing. You won’t know, unless you try them.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are on the right course
Treat them as an experiment
Remember no two types of grass cut the same .
Way back there were dedicated decks for catching , mulching & throwing
These were replaced with the "universal" decks
Universal in such as bing mediocre to poor at doing any type of mowing .
But it cut the costs at the factory & at the dealership

apg1979

Threads
cool yup that all makes sense! thanks everyone for sticking with my probably over analyzing and obsessing about this haha

actually these are a tiny bit (about 1/16th) longer than the stock toro blades in my measurements or at the very least the same.

I see what you mean about the toro part #'s actually....misread that. I did notice mine is not on there but i remembered that Oregon told me that they are behind on the newer toro models so hopefully due to that. the blades come within 1/2" of the outter part of the deck and within each other which all is good i know....but the only thing i was concerned about is how close to that bottom lip that they come but as long as i keep them balanced and they dont hit that i'm sure i'll be good.

I agree though, wont really know until i try them out. once i can torque them on tomorrow and fire it up to see how they sound i wont know for sure (the stock blades spin up smooth and fast vs the g6's labored a bit and a bit louder so i expect the g3's to be closer to stock

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The pros like them because they hold an edge for longer and more important don't bog down as much in thick grass so they can plough through at full speed .
For them the extra job they can finish in a day is worth the extra fuel consumption & wear
No such thing as a free lunch

apg1979

Threads
yup for sure! keeping those Rotary ones as a backup option! thanks for the reminder!

andyboy

Threads
Regarding the chopping of leaves:
Despite having the mulching kit with Gator blades on my Toro timecutter I was frustrated with the leaves that escape out the right side beneath the deck. I made this rubber skirt to stop that. It hangs from the "tractor" frame and not the deck itself so it has a consistent height no matter the height to the deck. It works really well and I have fine tuned it with repeat prototypes. In addition to the lawn, I can chop leaves on an asphalt driveway with almost no leaves escaping the deck. I'll try to make before and after picks this fall of the mulching.

mower skirt sm.jpg

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
andyboy- what are the 2 pipes sticking out the rear ? Exhaust stacks or what ?

andyboy

Threads
andyboy- what are the 2 pipes sticking out the rear ? Exhaust stacks or what ?
It is an attempt to draw cleaner air from above the engine rather than around or below. As described here:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oh yes I remember your mod now..