Engine Toro Suzuki knock

jp1961

Threads
I have a 1988 16785 with the Suzuki 2 cycle, it doesn't have any radial play in the crank. I did look at a Toro commercial mower this summer that did have some play (didn't purchase it, because of this). Bearings appear to still be available for this engine. I own quite a few 2 cycle lawnmowers (Lawn-boy, Tecumseh, Suzuki), none have play in the crankshaft when cold, but the Lawn-boy's exhibit some play when checked hot. I'd replace the bearings, the Suzuki is a great engine.
Jeff

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 1988 16785 with the Suzuki 2 cycle, it doesn't have any radial play in the crank. I did look at a Toro commercial mower this summer that did have some play (didn't purchase it, because of this). Bearings appear to still be available for this engine. I own quite a few 2 cycle lawnmowers (Lawn-boy, Tecumseh, Suzuki), none have play in the crankshaft when cold, but the Lawn-boy's exhibit some play when checked hot. I'd replace the bearings, the Suzuki is a great engine.
Jeff

Thanks for responding.

Just to be clear, when you say 'radial' play, are you talking about endplay? Radial play (as I understand it) would be in a direction perpendicular to the axis; endplay is parallel to the crank axis.

jp1961

Threads
Yes, radial would be perpendicular to the crankshaft. My Suzuki doesn't seem to have any in either direction (up and down and side to side). A small amount of endplay might be OK. .100" seems like a lot though. It looks like ball bearings were used for the lower, not sure on the upper.

Jeff

Last edited: